Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The Briner Bucket  (Read 2247 times)

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
The Briner Bucket
« on: November 12, 2020, 12:19:12 PM »
For those of you looking at brining.
The Briner Bucket is pretty handy. Yes you can do it another way cheaper but this makes it a little easier for me and over the long run can pay for itself. I was not sure what size to get so this may help someone out.

The big bucket in the picture has an 11 1/2 lb whole turkey in it with 3 gallons of brine and the liquid comes up to the top of the “e”. Was hoping to use the smaller bucket, which is great for chickens, but wanted to keep the turkey whole for this cook and was a little too tight to fit in the small one. If I spatchcocked or cut into pieces the small bucket could have worked.

Here’s a good description from LEM and I know Bed Bath and Beyond also carries the big one.
https://www.lemproducts.com/product/briner-buckets/all-smoking-dehydrating

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 09:24:40 PM by foshizzle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: The Briner Bucket
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 02:42:58 PM »
I’m generally anti accessory but I’ve always thought these were reasonable and would be convenient.

I still haven’t pulled the trigger and I’ve still never bribed anything so I need to try it out.

Thanks for the size description. What brine did you use?

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
The Briner Bucket
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 09:12:26 PM »
I’ve tried 3 different kinds. My favorite is the Oakridge Game Changer.  It just seems to keep the bird more moist and not over power the natural flavor. The Rodelle Turkey Brine, which is sold at Costco right now has different flavors like Apple, Allspice, Cranberry’s and Orange Peel which my family likes but it’s a little too gourmet for me.
Kosmos is pretty good too.

It’s also simple to make your own brine.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 09:25:33 PM by foshizzle »

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 08:51:51 AM »
I brine when doing full birds in the smoker and fryer. I use a 5 gallon pail and boil seasoning and salt than add ice and soak the bird overnight. Works great. I have always wanted to get one of those brine pails but I know it’s just another thing to keep in the house. You can also brine in a cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 09:16:14 AM »
We use the America's Test Kitchen turkey brine, and I've always done it in a home depot bucket (bought new each time) and two kitchen garbage bags.  Easy peasy. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2007/11/cooks-illustrated-roasted-brined-turkey-recipe.html
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 10:07:03 AM »
One of the sizes is said to fit perfectly in the chill right? They sell them at the bbq store in KC. I might grab one this year

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 05:53:39 PM »
One of the sizes is said to fit perfectly in the chill right? They sell them at the bbq store in KC. I might grab one this year
I have never wanted to buy a chill because I didn't really see me using it much, but I was always thinking of it as a beverage cooler. This statement is making me reconsider, because there is never enough room in the refrigerator when brining something or chilling large cuts of meat like pork butts.

Mikeyd

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 03:40:49 AM »
https://www.thebbqsuperstore.com/Marinade_Injection_Bags_s/1913.htm

These bags are all I use. I would highly recommend them. Great for brining or injecting big pieces of meat.  Also it’s easier to put this in the fridge than a bucket.

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 06:15:01 AM »
I brined two breasts last Thanksgiving. They came out pretty terrific. It was a undertaking making the brine vs buying a mixed one. Very worth it though, and I'll go with it again this year.  The brine bucket looks like a good gadget. I like gadgets, and having something to make brining easier will encourage me to do it more often. Brining really steps up the turkey and chicken cooks. There's a whole world of possibilities I'm sure.....so much to cook, so little time...hahaha! Thanks for the post

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 06:11:48 PM »
I have never wanted to buy a chill because I didn't really see me using it much, but I was always thinking of it as a beverage cooler. This statement is making me reconsider, because there is never enough room in the refrigerator when brining something or chilling large cuts of meat like pork butts.

I got my chill for 10 bucks! Lol
Super random glance at marketplace and saw the plastic lid.
I used it to defrost the husky last year, but I didnt brine.
Ive also used it to cool pots of hot sauce without warming the fridge up. I dont use it much, but when I do it seems very valuable.

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 08:39:43 AM »
I have both sizes and they come in handy. I use the JR almost weekly brining chicken. 

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 11:47:44 PM »

I got my chill for 10 bucks! Lol
Super random glance at marketplace and saw the plastic lid.
I used it to defrost the husky last year, but I didnt brine.
Ive also used it to cool pots of hot sauce without warming the fridge up. I dont use it much, but when I do it seems very valuable.
I'm in the UK what's a chill?  Anyone got a link, as you can imagine our refrigeration is even smaller as standard.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LONG

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 05:29:30 AM »
I have the larger one.  pretty handy.  the grooves inside are a pain to clean though.  and I wish it had a bottom drain.