Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weekend experiments... salmon and Brie-cheese...  (Read 6172 times)

WeberSwede

• Smokey Joe
Weekend experiments... salmon and Brie-cheese...
« on: November 09, 2020, 02:13:36 AM »
Ok.

Weekend and since the regular Performer had just been moved indoors (storage during winter season - want to protect the investments properly) I figured I would give my WSM 18" a run for it's money.

Local store had vacuum packed salmon on sale and, cheese is always a crowd pleaser....

So - Saturday - took on the salmon challenge..

With the Performer "unavailable" I had to figure out a different method of lighting the briquettes... :)  Also, you can see that Autumn definitely has started to kick in.....

A little salt directly on the non-skin-side and about 1h40min in the smoker at the top shelve (unfortunately the temp rose towards the end - need to learn how to master the vents better..) produced a smokey, yet mild flavour result, with only marginal "dry-ness" of the fish.
Wife wanted more salt, I was happy "as is". :)

While the salmon was cookin' in the WSM, I took the time to clean our kitchen oven.
Much needed - and generated a very happy wife, when she came home from work (extra hours to keep up with demands).

Sunday - after a thorough cleaning and dismantling of the two grids (I took the lower grid and "puzzled" together, when trying on cheese and cold smoking the first time. I was afraid the cheese could potentially start melting......but, at aournd 8 degrees Celcius outside and cold smoking - no chance... :) ) - I started up a Brie-cheese and cold smoke attempt.
Sadly, I could not find my hand grinded pecan dust (misplaced the bag in the storagehouse :( )  so, I went with only regular Weber Beech dust.

No pictures on the Brie-cheese as there was not much difference in looks, but, after 5 hours of cold smoking, they went from WSM and into plastic bags to protect them from rest of cooler content.
Have not tried the Brie-cheese yet but, the last times those have been "crowd pleasers", so I am counting on another success also here.

Hope this can inspire others.. :)

Cheers,
WeberSwede

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
Re: Weekend experiments... salmon and Brie-cheese...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 03:22:44 AM »
That looks great.  How is the supposed lingering smell that puts everyone off smoking fish in the WSM?

I'm a sucker for fish and seafood.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

WeberSwede

• Smokey Joe
Re: Weekend experiments... salmon and Brie-cheese...
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 05:32:37 AM »
Hi,

Can't really say I felt a problem with that... but, maybe my nose is not that fine-tuned.. :) On the other hand, I have to say that with all the wine, whisky and rum tasting I've been doing last few years, it can't be that bad. :)

Cheers,
WeberSwede