Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best wood for BBQ chicken  (Read 1623 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Best wood for BBQ chicken
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 06:49:29 AM »
Good looking chicken! I love my SnS basket it is big and can put out some heat! I think that if you set yours up like cellar2fulls you should get the heat you need to do direct and indirect. Good luck!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2020, 10:56:36 AM »
Cherry is a really nice wood to use, but it makes the chicken really dark.

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2020, 11:46:53 AM »
I really didn't noticea difference in color. Are you talking cooking with the skin on or skin off?
Cherry is a really nice wood to use, but it makes the chicken really dark.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2020, 03:08:38 PM »
While you’re chimney is getting lit, have your quarters laid out of a big plate, with only a drizzle of salt.

Full chimney of charcoal, poured into your baskets and placed in the center of the grill.

Arrange leg quarters around the perimeter, but not directly over the coal.

Get a temp of 400-450 and cook until IT is 180-190.  (Thighs and legs are extra greasy, so I cook em longer to remove the extra grease. Adjust to your preferences). It’ll take about an hour or so.

If you want smoke flavor, just place a wood chunk over your coal while you cook. It’ll pick up the smoke quickly.

Remove the chicken and sauce em up as you see fit. If you prefer a different rub, feel free to rub it up before you cook the chicken.

Final result will be tender, pull apart meat, with a smoky flavor, yet crispy skin as if you fried them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2020, 04:05:52 PM »

While you’re chimney is getting lit, have your quarters laid out of a big plate, with only a drizzle of salt.

Full chimney of charcoal, poured into your baskets and placed in the center of the grill.

Arrange leg quarters around the perimeter, but not directly over the coal.

Get a temp of 400-450 and cook until IT is 180-190.  (Thighs and legs are extra greasy, so I cook em longer to remove the extra grease. Adjust to your preferences). It’ll take about an hour or so.

If you want smoke flavor, just place a wood chunk over your coal while you cook. It’ll pick up the smoke quickly.

Remove the chicken and sauce em up as you see fit. If you prefer a different rub, feel free to rub it up before you cook the chicken.

Final result will be tender, pull apart meat, with a smoky flavor, yet crispy skin as if you fried them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

True story [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app