Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The flat top ranch  (Read 5378 times)

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Re: The flat top ranch
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2020, 03:01:43 PM »
Wow, wow,wow!!!! [emoji102]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Pezdogs

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2020, 04:11:27 PM »
Looks great with that amount of work already

Sent from my SM-N976B using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2020, 03:23:30 AM »
Damn!! Amazing restoration, crowderjd!   I cannot wait to see the final product.  Congrats again!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2020, 04:44:19 AM »
You’re doing great with it so far, love the patina on the lid!
Is that a base you’re planning on keeping it on or just for moving around the shop?

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2020, 04:48:31 AM »
Wow, Great progress!
I can’t wait to see your first cook.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2020, 04:58:43 AM »
Love watching the progress on this one.   

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kettle collector AND cooker!

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2020, 06:05:01 AM »
This might be the restoration of the year!  Looks great!  Love seeing the progression!

"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2020, 06:50:47 AM »
Looking great!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2020, 03:03:04 PM »
I thought that ranch was incapable of being restored.  Glad to see I was wrong.  Well done.  Looking forward to seeing the final product.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2020, 03:46:44 PM »
That's badass Jason and it's not even finished yet.  Where's the popcorn?  I look forward to seeing it finished.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2020, 01:04:44 PM »
I start to get jealous Jason. Man you do a very well restojob
Here's an update...I'll give a more robust recap tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2020, 05:13:53 PM »
Well, it was a busy weekend with the ranch!  On Friday, I went to a local steel supplier, Highland Steel, and they recommended I go back to the remnants pile and find what I was looking for.  I found three pieces of 1 1/4 inch steel tubing (12 guage), and they let me buy it by the pound as they were remnants, so it came to $4.  On Saturday, I took an angle grinder and cut each leg to 17.5 inches (as recommended by @harris92.  Attaching them was problematic at first, but once I carefully sanded the ends of each leg, then applied some liquid wrench to get them to ease in, which they did.

After that it looked great, but man it is LOW.  At first I was going to build an entire platform for it to sit on made by a 48x48 piece of plywood, but that would have been heavy and taken up a lot of room in my space limited yard.  After thinking about it, I decided to make a smaller frame from two 2x4s.  Throw in a quick trip to Harbor Freight to get some locking 3 inch casters, and it was looking great, BUT not very stable.  That's when my lovely wife recommended some washing machine non slip pads/risers we had for a new washer/dryer we got last year but never used.  Now each leg sits snugly inside a rubber base, and doesn't slip or slide off the cart.  Finally, the whole contraption adds 7.5 inches of height to the grill. 

Finally, after work today, I got home and washed the exterior for the first time, then let it dry in the sun and cleaned it with Armor All glass cleaner (my go to for shining up my grills) and a microfiber towel. 

There's still a bit more to do, but I needed to get it out of the garage after being in there for almost a month.  I need to get a GBS grill insert for the center of the grill grate.  I think they are the same size as the hole in the center of the original grate.  I'm also planning on getting another slide aside and expanding it to sit on the side of the bowl so I have a place to put the lid.  I think I've seen a couple of people do that on here @SixZeroFour I believe I remember a post about how you did this in the past...

Lastly, I still have my old rancher that needs to find a new home.  If you remember this grill, it is still going strong in my backyard.  I may have a friend who wants it, but I'll keep you all informed.  My wife has made it CLEAR we won't have two ranches...this year has sucked as there have been no parties to give it much purpose. 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/ranch-kettle-restore/

And so with that, here's the pics of where we stand today.  Vegas has been beautiful lately, and I got some nice sunset pics. 

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2020, 05:49:48 PM »
That is a beautiful lineup!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Kain

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2020, 09:26:24 PM »
I love the the UFO with the rest. So awesome !

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2020, 03:53:27 AM »
Great restore and what a nice looking group of Webers!  That ranch is so cool.   I’ll bet you can’t wait to cook on it.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club