Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best wood for BBQ chicken  (Read 1608 times)

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
Best wood for BBQ chicken
« on: November 07, 2020, 04:10:23 AM »
Howdy folks,

I hope all of you are well this Saturday morning. I am planning on grilling / smoking chicken quarters and hope for some suggestions / recommendations. The knowns are:

1. It will be chicken quarters with the skin on
2. I will finish them off with homemade BBQ sauce. Not a Carolina-style, more of a ketchup-based, tangy
3. They will be smoked

Here are my questions:

1. Any well-known rub that I can get at a large chain or perhaps if you live in TX, one I can pick up at a Buc-cees? Interestingly, they have a decent selection and I will be driving by the one in Denton today. I've got a chili powder based rub (John Stage's) that I found on the internet and it is great, but was hoping to try something different. I see Ry use Desert Gold but I might have to hunt to find that

2. Any recommended wood to use? I regularly use mesquite for pork, beef and chicken, however I've read fruit wood is a good choice for chicken. I just want something different.

Thanks Friends!

Regards,

Bob / hansonb4

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Best wood for BBQ chicken
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 05:41:46 AM »
I love It’s Incredible seasoning on chicken.  A store bought version that is similar is called Morton’s Nature’s Seasons.  They claim it to be lower in sodium and msg free if that matters to you.  Good luck with your cook!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 05:50:10 AM by bamakettles »

mcyork28

• Smokey Joe
Re: Best wood for BBQ chicken
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 06:19:38 AM »
Poultry tends to take on a lot of smoke so I like to use something on the mild side like apple. Not sure if it's available in your area but I like Yard Bird and Loot N Booty Gold Star Chicken Rub.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 06:35:11 AM »
My favorite rub/seasoning for chicken is Herbs de Provence and copped fresh Rosemary.  Herbs de Provence should be available at any grocery store and if you don't have a Rosemary plant, I bet you'll find a neighbor that has one.  I pull back the skins and apply the spices directly on the meat, pulling the skins back over the chicken. This allows the spices to permeate the meat while protecting the spices from the smoke.  My go to wood for chicken and turkeys is apple. Any fruit wood would be good but I've found cherry wood darkens chicken skin much more than apple wood. Here is a good reference guide for use of smoking woods.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 08:04:16 AM »
Thanks. Do you direct cook it at all, or do you indirect the entire time?
My favorite rub/seasoning for chicken is Herbs de Provence and copped fresh Rosemary.  Herbs de Provence should be available at any grocery store and if you don't have a Rosemary plant, I bet you'll find a neighbor that has one.  I pull back the skins and apply the spices directly on the meat, pulling the skins back over the chicken. This allows the spices to permeate the meat while protecting the spices from the smoke.  My go to wood for chicken and turkeys is apple. Any fruit wood would be good but I've found cherry wood darkens chicken skin much more than apple wood. Here is a good reference guide for use of smoking woods.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 08:04:56 AM »
Thanks. Do you direct cook yours at all or indirect the entire time?
Poultry tends to take on a lot of smoke so I like to use something on the mild side like apple. Not sure if it's available in your area but I like Yard Bird and Loot N Booty Gold Star Chicken Rub.

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 08:55:11 AM »
Apple, or Maple for me.

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 12:04:06 PM »
did a  large spatchcock chicken last night  - used Jack Daniels Chicken  rub - cherry and apple for smoke - tasted Great [emoji4].  indirect w high heat ( around 375-380 )   took  1 1/2 hr.   - skin side down first 40 min - next 40 + skin side up. when internal temps got to 160 started slathering the baby rays every ten minutes or so until 170.   good luck [emoji256]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 12:07:14 PM »
Pecan or apple are good.  When using a sauce on top, I like to keep the base simple, for me chicken is salt, paprika, white pepper and garlic.

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 12:27:20 PM »
If you want to smoke, offset the entire time low & slow is the trick.

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2020, 06:53:23 PM »
Can I ask everyone what grill temp are you shooting for when doing an all indirect chicken quarter cook?

22ket~tle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2020, 07:36:44 PM »

Cellar2ful

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2020, 01:49:36 PM »

I cook chicken indirect.  Charcoal baskets on each side with a drip pan in the middle beneath the chicken. Top and bottom vents wide open. Lid temp runs between 350-400 degrees.   I sauce after the chicken is off the grill.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 01:52:42 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2020, 05:03:29 PM »

I cook chicken indirect.  Charcoal baskets on each side with a drip pan in the middle beneath the chicken. Top and bottom vents wide open. Lid temp runs between 350-400 degrees.   I sauce after the chicken is off the grill.

exactly!

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 02:51:15 AM »
So after posting my questions about chicken quarters, I went to the store and they were sold out, so I opted for chicken thighs. While the end product was good, the cook was not optimal.

The last time I made thighs, I seared them with direct heat a couole of minutes on each side, then backed them off to indirect, which took a total of perhaps 40 minutes or so. This time I did direct the whole te at 300 and it too easily 90 minutes to reach 165. Luckily the baked potatoes were still hot, but perhaps one basket of charcoal wasn't enough. I used cherry would, so thank you to the who made their wood recommendations. I wanted peach but Albertsons didn't have it, so I took the next best thing.