Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best Pork doink I've ever made  (Read 1666 times)

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
Best Pork doink I've ever made
« on: November 02, 2020, 02:19:13 PM »
I'll get to the point. I smoked a donka donk yesterday (pecan, apple) and my temps were all over the place. I was busy inside with some work but had the thermopro tp20 in front of me so I could see what was happening on the kettle. The goal was, informally, to see how little fuel I could use and still cook hotter and faster than usual. Royal oak is my go to and I was using the  briquettes for this cook. I recorded the bbq temp every 15 min or so because I was curious how much the temperature swings when I'm not outside helicoptering above the BBQ. Meat went on at 9:40, I wrapped in foil at 4:30 and the internal temp was 178-183 degrees. I wanted dark bark so I let it roll further than usual before wrapping. Pulled it off at 5:40 (probe went in like a toothpick in peanut butter) temp was between 197-201 and then rested it for about one hour. Dinner was served before 7, not bad for a pork shoulder that was almost 10lbs. No sprays or  other moisture added at all during the cook. I did however brine this butt for almost 21 hrs. I didn't mean to go longer than 12hrs, but life happens and I was distracted. This was, by a long sight, the best Pork I've ever made, maybe the best I've tasted. Smokey not sweet, tender as can be and moist but no juices flowing once I cut into it. I'm assuming it was the brine but thought maybe the varying temps were a factor also. I decided to take Franklin's advice and took notes for the first time. I think I'll practice this more on other long cooks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
Re: Best Pork doink I've ever made
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 02:21:29 PM »
Did basement beans also, put them on about two hours before the pork was done. May see them in one of the pics

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 02:51:23 PM »
Very nice. Got to love it when a cook goes well. Looks good, great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 02:54:10 PM »
You had me at basement beans

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 02:58:59 PM »
Looking good

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Jrzy.Hillbilly

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 03:41:47 PM »
Great looking cook!

Kain

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 04:05:24 PM »
Well done[emoji106] looks good

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 04:19:57 PM »
mmmmm Pork and Basement beans!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 04:20:02 PM »
Success tastes and looks wonderful!  Looks like you scored on both.  Congrats on an awesome cook!

Retired@55

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 10:34:43 AM »
Do you normally brine your pork butts? I can’t seem to find the right method, as pork butt never seems to turn out for me. They come out tender and juicy, but the flavor always seems to be a little off. I’ve tried different rubs, but never a brine. Wondering if that might be what I’m missing. Nice cook  BTW.

Krawtschenko

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 06:47:59 PM »
That looks amazing!

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

aaronw915

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 05:13:00 PM »
Great cook!!!  Looks delicious

I took your numbers and put them in a quick little chart for ya. Hope you don’t mind.

Here’s what your temps stats looked like

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 01:49:38 PM »
Aaron, dude, that's suuu-wheet. No I don't mind. Very cool to see it charted like that! Also a little embarrassing lol. Like I said, temps were all over but end product was guuud to the bone

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 01:59:45 PM »
Hey Retired, thanks! This is the first time I brined a pork shoulder. I was really happy with the flavor and honestly I could have brined it a little less. I used a pretty standard brine. Equal parts sugar/salt and for the pork, I also used some rosemary, 2 tbspns of bbq rub, blk peppercorns, white pepper and threw an orange peel in also. I make my own rub for each protein I  Q. My family isn't fond of sweet pork (I like sweet and spicy) so I usually go light on the sugar. Check out some of the you tube guys if you haven't already. So many awesome people in the bbq world who love to share what they've learned.

aaronw915

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2020, 03:41:35 PM »

Aaron, dude, that's suuu-wheet. No I don't mind. Very cool to see it charted like that! Also a little embarrassing lol. Like I said, temps were all over but end product was guuud to the bone

Shouldn’t be embarrassing at all. I have a feeling many peoples cooks look like this. I know mine have. That’s what makes it the most fun cooking with a kettle instead of something automatic like a pellet or electric smoker. At least that’s my opinion lol