Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Outdoor kitchen - all the way...  (Read 4762 times)

WeberSwede

• Smokey Joe
Outdoor kitchen - all the way...
« on: October 28, 2020, 05:01:08 AM »
So - a couple of months ago, we had friends over and grilling. Me, as usual, complaining that I did not have enough grilling area on the Weber Performer to time the meat/fish and the vegetables. (not even possible when it's only me and the wife though so...)

And, for once my wife's tongue slipped. She said "Well - build that darn outdoor kitchen you seem to want, then".

And voila! I had the approval. No design really set yet, but, as I am a bit of a design nerd, I figured I will keep the same stone types and colours as the current stone laying we have on the ground. Yes - perhaps not the best "building principle" idea, but, it's got to be looking "unified" in design or WAF will be low and "future projects trust" will not be readily available.

But: two Weber Performers taken off their original stands and put into a "brick_sort-of"-solution is the idea.
One large wood tile (cherry wood) work area, with a hidden sink underneath. Sink must be large enough in diameter, to fit a weber 57 inch grate completely for smooth and non-messy cleaning.

Two Weber performers - Check!
sink, large enough cicular - almost check (have cut the top of a water tank and flipped it around, left: mount a standard sink outlet in the center and get it refurbished at the local sand blasting and powder coating shop)

So, work is in progress. :)

Kindly,
WeberSwede

PS. I would love the Weber Ranch but, it was horribly expensive when sold in Sweden, and now, it's no longer selling at all. Also, I will have easier time to store the two webers etc during winter season than I would with a Ranch-model. DS.

WeberSwede

• Smokey Joe
Re: Outdoor kitchen - all the way...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 05:02:19 AM »
So - for you who has not yet figured it out - this is to be a building blog of this outdoor kitchen. :)

Cheers,
WeberSwede

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 10:46:18 AM »
Nice! Looking forward to the progress!

WeberSwede

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 11:04:47 PM »
Well - not so much progress at the moment. Had to move a car project during the weekend. But, plan is to complete two things within the next week or so.

1. A grinder for "saw dust"....

An explanation is probably in place. Weber have only one type of cold smoke dust - and it's actually great dust, but, it's just ONE flavour. I got hold of "less granular" dust than Weber's (other flavours :) ) but, those won't burn in the Weber cold smoke "spiral"...so, I had to grind them down to "dust". For this, I used an ancient nut/almond grinder I had lying around. (Not figured out any better yet.) however, handgrinding is a tedious task so, I figured I would make it "engine-operated" just like I did with our "ice grinder"....remove the handle, put two nuts on the axle and use the torque between them to lock them in place. Then, use a regular handheld, electrical screwdriver to turn the grinder... :) Unfortunately I could not find matching nuts to turn on (and I would like to be able to return the grinder to hand operated once I come up with a better solution to grind the "less granular" dust I found.... :) I got the steel pin, I have drilled the hole for the lock pin, I have the nuts and made the threads for them - but, go figure - the steel pin is too think for one of the components so I have to bother my friend again, to use his machining tool to get the steel pin a tad bit narrower... :) it's an annoying 0.3 mm, on the radius, too big to fit. :( 

Anyone's got an idea how to make a "real" grinder for the dust - give me a shout... :) real = one which does not involve having to potentially ruin a perfectly fine, antique, piece of kitchen equipment.

2. The sink - well - I need to drill a hole in the bottom - the waste water outlet or what it's called. I want that to be a stock solution, in case I can make the outlet more permanent as such, in the future. Won't do that from start though - I think...

so, next job is to find a hole cutter which can handle steel and is about 95 mm in diameter... that should be interesting... :) next issue - how to get the hole really centered... :)

Once that's settled, I will turn it in for sand blasting and powder coating.

Ahh well, challenges, challenges.. :) designed to be overcome. :)

Cheers,
WeberSwede

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 11:07:34 PM by WeberSwede »

WeberSwede

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 04:40:30 AM »
Hello again,

Ok. More progress made. :)

Hole drilled yesterday. :)

Now, the question is - how to surface treat it...I was going through options in my head.

Powder coating - might be too "fragile" when handling weber grates in it.
Enamelling - according to local enamel company owner, probably too easy to scratch with a hard hit of something - sharp or blunt.
Chromed - not sure about the food thing along with chrome and possibly all too easy to scratch also.

Any idea on what to do to rust-prevent and have a food-compliant, dent resistive surface is welcome.

Cheers,
WeberSwede

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 06:51:44 PM »
Is the metal bowl thing going to be the sink? Is it cheaper to sandblast it, surface treat it, and fully convert it to a sink than it is to simply purchase a sink? Perhaps a used kitchen sink?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Outdoor kitchen - all the way...
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 04:43:48 AM »
Is the metal bowl thing going to be the sink? Is it cheaper to sandblast it, surface treat it, and fully convert it to a sink than it is to simply purchase a sink? Perhaps a used kitchen sink?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

He wants it to be able to fit a 22 grate.

A stainless utility sink might be an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

WeberSwede

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 05:26:20 AM »
Hi all,

Yeah, the intention is to not having to bring in the 22" grate inside the house. Wife does not fancy having it around and it's really a mess when cleaning.

Cheap - well - not exactly, but, I figured I spent a little extra to get the size needed. :)

Cheers,
WeberSwede