Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling the perfect burger  (Read 2220 times)

P0234

• Smokey Joe
Grilling the perfect burger
« on: October 23, 2020, 06:09:59 AM »
Any tips for grilling the perfect burger?  I like a nice crisp exterior but I really dislike the Burger King like flame kissed flavor.  Fat keeps dropping on the coals causing the overly smokey flavor.

I know a simple answer is go indirect but it’s just not hot enough on the indirect side to get the crisp outside.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Grilling the perfect burger
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 06:14:24 AM »
Smash burger

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

tvt

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 06:18:51 AM »
Not a tip for perfect burger. But try using cast iron pan over charcoal if you don’t want flame kissed or smokey flavor. However, since you’re cooking w charcoal in a kettle it might be hard to not have any of those flavor profiles that you’re not looking for. I may be wrong but hope someone else also has some tips to share. I’m not busting your chops but I think using a gasser might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 09:22:15 AM »
Oh don’t get me wrong, I love the charcoal flavor. What I don’t like is the flame kissed flavor of the flare up. Maybe I need to bank high on both sides and cook in the middle. 

And to be clear, it’s not the char I’m talking about. The flames just give the burgers that Burger King taste.

I don’t have any issues with steaks as the fat isn’t dripping down into the coals, at least not in significant quantities.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 09:24:04 AM by P0234 »

FlashHokie

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 08:16:51 PM »
Oh don’t get me wrong, I love the charcoal flavor. What I don’t like is the flame kissed flavor of the flare up. Maybe I need to bank high on both sides and cook in the middle. 

And to be clear, it’s not the char I’m talking about. The flames just give the burgers that Burger King taste.

I don’t have any issues with steaks as the fat isn’t dripping down into the coals, at least not in significant quantities.
Check out grillgrates.com as it will cut down significantly on the flare-ups. Also the cast iron pan would work too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 05:04:18 AM »

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 06:45:40 AM »
The grillgrates looks interesting. Last night I had partial success. Lit a supercharged fire with the lid cracked about 1/2”. The indirect side was hovering around 500F. I cooked the burgers on the indirect side as close as I could to being over the coals but not on top of them. Awesome flavor, that nice brown/red/pink crust on the burgers. Most importantly no fat dripping on the coal and no soot/flame flavors.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 12:17:04 PM by P0234 »

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 06:52:54 AM »
My suggestion is undirect until done enough then a quick sear in each side until done. You could utilize a cast iron if don’t want flames.

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 07:16:05 AM »
Anyone try burgers with a Vortex?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 10:56:15 AM »
I’ve tried using my slow n sear with burgers, indirect to 125F with a sear at the end and did not like the results.  Way too much smoke flavor.  The family seems to like them best over high heat charcoal using Grill Grates.  I like them best right over the coals, BUT ground chuck only, less fat - less flare ups. 

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Retired@55

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 09:10:23 AM »
I second the Grill Grates suggestion. I use them on my gasser to get high heat. You can flip the over and use the flat side for a smash burger.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 09:15:01 AM »
I reverse sear mine like a steak.  Lid off and the end for a min to min and a half.  Lots of flame but I don’t get very Smokey flavor at all.   Gets a good crust.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 07:19:35 PM »

Smash burger

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
+1

+2
Smash burger is what you crave!! Get a hot cast iron griddle directly over some coals, put your patty on it, smash that party down when it starts to shrink up, flip and repeat! 
You’ll get crispy edges and it’ll be juicy as heck since it was kinda fried in its own juices. Also, no flare ups!

I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 08:11:19 PM »
Smashburgers on the Hunsaker griddle.
Best 29.99 I have ever spent.
Also good for bacon, eggs, sausage, hash browns and pancakes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 03:35:17 AM »
I would like to also chime in on smash burgers! I like to dice onion put into piles on the griddle,  and smash the "meat balls" on top of the onion.  Pushes the onions into the burger..... [emoji1786]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app