Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: "How much" charcoal to use  (Read 4220 times)

shellkamp

• Happy Cooker
Re: "How much" charcoal to use
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2020, 12:45:10 PM »
First beer can chicken

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

shellkamp

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2020, 02:22:14 PM »
Thighs were 40 degrees higher than the breasts for most of the cook. Once thighs got to 165 I shut the bottom vents and let the breasts catch up but the skin never got crispy.

Pulled off the grill when thighs were at 173 and breasts were at 155 (it was already over 145 degrees for 20 minutes)and threw it in the oven under the broiler to crisp up the skin.

I guess next time I will use more charcoal and pile it up higher. I used a chimney full of hardwood lump.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2020, 03:03:20 PM »
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 05:01:43 PM by AZ2FL »

Smoke5

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2020, 03:30:13 PM »
For my performer deluxe, I fill up the slow n sear and close all vents when done which saves unused charcoal.
Next time, top it off and repeat as necessary.
So you're essentially just cooking at the same temperature any given cook? Or are you able to meaningfully adjust temps based on the vents position?

I do not cook at the same temperature and use the vents along with other things.
- Burgers, dogs, steaks: Use two zone system
- Smoked food: Use fireboard controller & fan
- Wings: Vortex

I also use a spray bottle and water pan depending on what's needed.

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2020, 10:06:01 AM »
This doesn't really answer your question, but something I've been doing is as soon as I am done cooking (and validating that I haven't inadvertently undercooked something), is I close the top and bottom vents to snuff out the coals. I have an old Kingsford bag and when I am certain the coals are out, I shake the recently used coals to get off the ash and dump the used charcoal into the old bag. When I have a short cook and for whatever I see that I need a little extra charcoal, I add some of the already used charcoal rather than adding fresh briquets. It's helping me get the most out of each bag of charcoal. Did that method last night, where I cooked a half a chimney of charcoal for my wok grilling, dumped the ready coals onto the rack, spread them out, then added a layer of used charcoal. Stir fry, a steak, a pork chop, flank steak.... great way to conserve charcoal.

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2020, 10:27:17 AM »
This doesn't really answer your question, but something I've been doing is as soon as I am done cooking (and validating that I haven't inadvertently undercooked something), is I close the top and bottom vents to snuff out the coals. I have an old Kingsford bag and when I am certain the coals are out, I shake the recently used coals to get off the ash and dump the used charcoal into the old bag. When I have a short cook and for whatever I see that I need a little extra charcoal, I add some of the already used charcoal rather than adding fresh briquets. It's helping me get the most out of each bag of charcoal. Did that method last night, where I cooked a half a chimney of charcoal for my wok grilling, dumped the ready coals onto the rack, spread them out, then added a layer of used charcoal. Stir fry, a steak, a pork chop, flank steak.... great way to conserve charcoal.

I reuse charcoal all the time too but I just keep it in the grill. I eyeball how much there is and fill the chimney accordingly and then top it off using the leftovers.

shellkamp

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2020, 10:57:42 AM »
SOP for me.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2020, 02:23:41 PM »

I reuse charcoal all the time too but I just keep it in the grill. I eyeball how much there is and fill the chimney accordingly and then top it off using the leftovers.

This /\ /\

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2020, 05:26:02 AM »
What does "This /\ /\" mean? I looked it up on urban dictionary and just a general search and couldn't find it

This /\ /\

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2020, 05:35:45 AM »
I think it means agree with the above post, or in this case the quoted post.

MadGasser

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2020, 01:26:07 PM »
You would be correct.
I think it means agree with the above post, or in this case the quoted post.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Retired@55

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 10:23:29 AM »
I’d also suggest a good thermometer to measure temp at the grate instead of the hood temp. Get one with a couple of probes so you can measure both the cooking temp and food temp. The Grill Grate ET732 is around $50 on Amazon. I also have a Thermoworks Smoke, but it’s 2x the price and the Grill Grate works just as well.

shellkamp

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2020, 01:45:36 PM »

I’d also suggest a good thermometer to measure temp at the grate instead of the hood temp. Get one with a couple of probes so you can measure both the cooking temp and food temp. The Grill Grate ET732 is around $50 on Amazon. I also have a Thermoworks Smoke, but it’s 2x the price and the Grill Grate works just as well.

I have the thermoworks smoke but since I wasn't using the grate due to the chicken being too tall I just monitored breast and thigh temperature. The thigh got to 165 relatively quick and the breasts trailed behind about 40 degrees. Once the thighs got to temp I shut the bottom vents and the breasts started to catch up while the thighs slowed way down and I was able to keep them at about 171 until the breasts got to temp.

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2020, 06:34:37 AM »
From looking at the photos, I would have used more charcoal if I had arranged it that way.  I cook on the grate and have not had clearance be an issue.  It may have touched, but I covered the whole coal grate and this always produces a nice beer can chicken for me.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

KettleThunder

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2020, 09:27:29 AM »
I use a slow n sear and cook indirect for everything. Here are some guides to go by. Your mileage may vary so this is a starting place:

Target temperature 225-250: 12 lit briquettes in the corner and fill the rest of the slow n sear with unlit charcoal. Top vent 1/3 open, bottom vent 1/3 open.

Target temperature 300-325: 1/2 chimney unlit briquettes in slow n sear and 1/2 chimney of lit briquettes on top of the unlit briquettes. Top vent 1/3 open, bottom vent 1/3 open.

Target temperature 400-425: 3/4 chimney of lit briquettes in slow n sear. Top vent 1/3 open, bottom vent 1/3 open.

Target temperature 500+: 1 full chimney of lit briquettes in slow n sear. Top vent full open, bottom vent full open.