Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Propane Starter Problem/Question  (Read 934 times)

bs617

Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Propane Starter Problem/Question
« on: October 07, 2020, 04:08:04 PM »
Earlier this year I bought a used (very lightly 5-6 times) weber summit charcoal grilling center and it has been great so far, however I have recently had issue with the propane charcoal starter.  While I didn't use it all the time it was nice to have.  Recently the issue I have is that the propane starter won't stay lit (see this youtube video of the issue https://youtu.be/Nb0LqZmf3n0).  It is noisy, typically the flame pulsates and then goes out.  I have noticed the flame often is all the way back in the starter tube where the propane enters the tube.  I asked weber customer support they said it probably something to do with the regulator and then gave me a link for troubleshooting a propane gas grill regulators, which actually isn't all that helpful for the summit charcoal .  Anyway after cleaning the starter tube etc. there was no improvement, but I did notice hard contact between the flexible fuel line and the metal propane heat shield, which didn't seem right (see attached pictures).  For those that own the charcoal summit I am interested in if this fuel line hard contact with a sharp edge is normal.  While it appears that it has not cut the line it has put a heavy indentation in it.  Also, if you have any recommendation as to what the issue may be I would appreciate it.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Propane Starter Problem/Question
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 05:42:04 AM »
Mine was like that when I assembled it new. I just bent the shield a little to make me feel better. The propane gas assist is garbage. Weber replaced the whole assembly 2 times for me and it still fails 80% of the time. I gave up on it. I keep it spotless. I never had any issues in 15 years of owning a gas assist performers. I just want the new bowl without the gas assist hole.

bs617

Re: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Propane Starter Problem/Question
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 06:39:35 AM »
Found a solution.  Wayne Berry commented on the youtube video that he had a similar problem and fixed it by cleaning the propane injector nozzle with a toothbrush.  While I had wiped off the injector face area, I had never made sure to clean inside the pinhole nozzle.  After scrubbing it thoroughly with a toothbrush, making sure to get bristles inside the nozzle it works normally again.