Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle tricks  (Read 4539 times)

P0234

• Smokey Joe
Kettle tricks
« on: September 30, 2020, 04:54:44 PM »
 I'm a relatively new kettle owner and would love to hear about some of the more subtle built in features.

I think the lid hanger is pretty well known. The spinning grate trick was new to me. I was also surprised to discover the cooking grate hangs off the side of the bowl by its handles.

What else am I missing?

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Kettle tricks
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 05:26:34 PM »
If you feed your kettle a healthy diet of meat and one day it will grow up and evolve into one of these healthy monsters...

All jokes aside, maybe you could tell us  little about yourself in term of your experience level with grilling, smoking, and etc.  I am sure a lot of fellas can chime in here. 

I think one trick that new kettle owners greatly benefit from is learning how to use the charcoal baskets to achieve indirect cooking, searing, and etc.  Also learning how to not overdo it in terms of the amount of fuel.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 05:29:14 PM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 08:02:38 PM »
if you shut the vents top and bottom when you are done cooking you can re-use the coals that didn't get consumed. 
You can smoke on it using the snake method and once you learn vent control.
They hypnotize you and make you a fanatic.
They make you seem like a good cook as everyone will love your food.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 05:42:07 AM »
  The spinning grate trick was new to me. I was also surprised to discover the cooking grate hangs off the side of the bowl by its handles.

Wait, What!?!?! Pix please

leeharvey418

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 06:20:00 AM »

You mean you’ve never seen this?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
2020 26" OKP; 2006 Q 200 Silver; 1997 Red Mist SSP; 2000 22” Plum OTG; and I'm gonna call it a 1975 Smokey Joe

G_V_Black

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 06:45:42 AM »
I was also surprised to discover the cooking grate hangs off the side of the bowl by its handles.

Be careful with this. On my 26"er, the weight of the cooking grate proved to be too much for the handle. Over time it became loose, then fell off due to rust (Weber support was great...sent me a new bowl AND lid). This might be OK with kettles 22" and smaller.

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 08:13:13 AM »

You mean you’ve never seen this?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Some other options....on the newer Performers there’s a spot on the back to hang the grate on the SSP there’s a hook on end to hang it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

leeharvey418

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 09:04:13 AM »
...on the SSP there’s a hook on end to hang it.

Huh... so that's what that hook is for.
2020 26" OKP; 2006 Q 200 Silver; 1997 Red Mist SSP; 2000 22” Plum OTG; and I'm gonna call it a 1975 Smokey Joe

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 10:30:05 AM »
If you feed your kettle a healthy diet of meat and one day it will grow up and evolve into one of these healthy monsters...

All jokes aside, maybe you could tell us  little about yourself in term of your experience level with grilling, smoking, and etc.  I am sure a lot of fellas can chime in here. 

I think one trick that new kettle owners greatly benefit from is learning how to use the charcoal baskets to achieve indirect cooking, searing, and etc.  Also learning how to not overdo it in terms of the amount of fuel.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I've cooked on kettles before, and we used to have one as a kid, but I never appreciated them.  Covid has afforded me a little time to slow down and appreciate things, so here I am, with a 22 base model!  I've been grilling and smoking things since a kid, so over 30 years though I'm far far away from an expert.

But I'm here specifically for the little nuances built in to our fine kettles.  Temp management, charcoal selections, etc, I feel comfortable with.

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 10:31:32 AM »
I was also surprised to discover the cooking grate hangs off the side of the bowl by its handles.

Be careful with this. On my 26"er, the weight of the cooking grate proved to be too much for the handle. Over time it became loose, then fell off due to rust (Weber support was great...sent me a new bowl AND lid). This might be OK with kettles 22" and smaller.

On my 22, it hangs just fine from the bowl, though handle is probably good too, though I use that for my wireless thermometer.

G_V_Black

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 12:07:13 PM »
Learn the snake method. It's a game changer if you want to BBQ on a kettle. I also use a throwaway roasting pan filled with just-boiled water in the middle. It will catch drippings and make BBQing way less messy, it maintains a moist cooking environment, and the water acts as a heat sink, making it that much easier to maintain a steady temperature.

Always have a tasty beverage within reach.

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 01:09:43 PM »
OK, I'll bite. Whats
The spinning grate trick
?

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 04:25:33 PM »
OK, I'll bite. Whats
The spinning grate trick
?
Say you are grilling wings on indirect and it's time for crisping up the skin. Instead of moving the wings one by one, you spin the grate around 180.

Same for direct grilling, say you have four steaks on and you get a big flare up. Just spin them over to the indirect side until things calm down.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 06:24:29 AM by P0234 »

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 07:54:21 AM »
Ahh! OK, thanks.

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 10:10:19 AM »
Two more I've come across.

The holes where the standard grate handles are allow for putting more coals in without lifting the grate up (from the 70's cookbook).

With regular briquettes, and the lid on the grill is designed not to get over 450 degrees no matter how much charcoal you have in it (temp is regulated by the limited airflow).  To get closer to 550, tilt the lid slightly to allow more air in.  For searing, remove the lid and let the coals get very hot.