Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle tricks  (Read 4541 times)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Kettle tricks
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2020, 04:38:20 PM »
Two more I've come across.

The holes where the standard grate handles are allow for putting more coals in without lifting the grate up (from the 70's cookbook).

With regular briquettes, and the lid on the grill is designed not to get over 450 degrees no matter how much charcoal you have in it (temp is regulated by the limited airflow).  To get closer to 550, tilt the lid slightly to allow more air in.  For searing, remove the lid and let the coals get very hot.
I can achieve much higher temps with briquettes and lid closed on a 22. 

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 08:01:41 AM »

I think in certain scenarios it is possible, especially localized heat, but if you can make your entire dome over 500 degrees extended periods (without lifting the lid and maintaining tight seals), you should share you knowledge as there are several threads looking for such advice, some going to the extent of fans or chimneys to get additional flow.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 03:11:06 PM »

I think in certain scenarios it is possible, especially localized heat, but if you can make your entire dome over 500 degrees extended periods (without lifting the lid and maintaining tight seals), you should share you knowledge as there are several threads looking for such advice, some going to the extent of fans or chimneys to get additional flow.
It was accidental.  Too much charcoal in my newbie days.   Two zone cooking....popped porcelain on my SSP and even my charcoal bin started melting.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 08:02:18 AM »
I’ve seen some pictures of that on Amazon reviews for an Akorn. Runaway fire and paint melted off.

ThinBlu42

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 02:10:13 PM »

The holes where the standard grate handles are allow for putting more coals in without lifting the grate up (from the 70's cookbook).

With regular briquettes, and the lid on the grill is designed not to get over 450 degrees no matter how much charcoal you have in it (temp is regulated by the limited airflow).  To get closer to 550, tilt the lid slightly to allow more air in.  For searing, remove the lid and let the coals get very hot.

Thanks!
I never knew this was a design feature. I knew that it happened as I have figured out over the years, but didnt know it was on purpose. I just knew to crack the lid to get it over 450 and remove it to go full sear.

My next thought on this is that they don't want you to have the lid on when its at 600+? Im assuming it would not be good for handles?
It's not GRILLING that makes you old.
It's NOT grilling that makes you old.

leeharvey418

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2020, 02:26:08 PM »
I'm assuming it would not be good for handles?

You seem to have inserted a couple of extraneous letters into the middle of the word "hands" there.
2020 26" OKP; 2006 Q 200 Silver; 1997 Red Mist SSP; 2000 22” Plum OTG; and I'm gonna call it a 1975 Smokey Joe

ThinBlu42

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2020, 02:29:16 PM »
I'm assuming it would not be good for handles?

You seem to have inserted a couple of extraneous letters into the middle of the word "hands" there.

True!

This is exactly why I have found that keeping a set of welding gloves around while I'm grilling comes in very HANDy
It's not GRILLING that makes you old.
It's NOT grilling that makes you old.

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2020, 04:40:45 PM »

Thanks!
I never knew this was a design feature. I knew that it happened as I have figured out over the years, but didnt know it was on purpose. I just knew to crack the lid to get it over 450 and remove it to go full sear.

My next thought on this is that they don't want you to have the lid on when its at 600+? Im assuming it would not be good for handles?

Just a couple of guesses:

The flash point of grease is around 600F. With no flare ups being a selling point I think it might have been a margin of error. Residential ovens for a long time stopped at 500F for this reason but most new ones go to 550F now.

The porcelain coating becomes brittle and cracks at high temps. As another poster mentioned it starts to peel at extreme temps, especially with the 700+ degree coals right next to it. I worry about this using the snake method.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 08:08:58 AM »
I think with the snake method there is not sufficient
oxygen available to super heat the fuel.

Like with a blacksmith's forge you'd have
to force additional airflow directly at the
hot spot on the snake.  I've used an old
hairdryer for this purpose to revive a poorly
constructed snake and to rescue a cook
in my stick burner that I ignored for a bit too long. :o

Jasonkuse

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2020, 05:30:39 PM »
I’ve got a few tips...
Position of the lid vent in relation to the food and coals should be considered. As a rule of thumb, I keep vent above food being cooked, for both direct and indirect methods.
The lid vent is also a good spot to insert a thermometer.
No chimney starter needed!  This one works best with an 18” or smaller kettle. First make sure grill is clean and free of ash in the bottom of bowl. Take 2 full sheets of newspaper, crush into a loose ball, drizzle with cooking oil, and place under lower grate.  Add charcoal in a pile in center and ignite newspaper through bottom vent! 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2020, 07:44:37 AM »
After seeing Leeharvey418's picture, I realized that a weber bonnet sitting in it's bail looks just like Pac-Man...swallowing up porkbutts and other tasty treats.   Sorry po34, I don't think that helps you at all haha

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2020, 07:50:41 AM »
Always a good idea however, when you're smoking or cooking "low n slow" position the exhaust vent over your protein, vegetables etc. This causes the smoke to be pulled over your food and exits above it. You may have been aware, but that was one I didn't learn for some time after picking up my 22in
Keep on discovering!

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2020, 08:14:35 AM »
Always a good idea however, when you're smoking or cooking "low n slow" position the exhaust vent over your protein, vegetables etc. This causes the smoke to be pulled over your food and exits above it. You may have been aware, but that was one I didn't learn for some time after picking up my 22in
Keep on discovering!
Good tip, in fact the older manuals specifically mention grate and vent positions in relation to wind as well. They are a treasure trove of tricks.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2020, 09:43:47 AM »
I discovered with one of my grills at least... If you have the lid thermometer over the food, it displays grate temperature, not lid temp.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2021, 07:07:31 AM »

@P0234  1 chimney of RO charcoal in SnS in a 22 inch kettle.  Cooking a marinated top sirloin.  Kettle topped out at 508 and sat there.  Did a reverse sear.  But this temp was achieved with no tricks.  Just one chimney.  Thermometer was 1/2 back on side of grate.   

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 08:37:36 AM by Foster Dahlet »