Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ribs w/ SnS  (Read 1065 times)

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
Ribs w/ SnS
« on: September 30, 2020, 03:37:38 AM »
Good morning, everyone. When I made ribs the last time, I used a chimney full of charcoal, dumped it into a Weber basket and while the ribs turned out good, the grill ran really hot, so I didn't get to slow cook them as long as I had hoped. Granted, it was well over 90 degrees in Texas the day I cooked them.

This time I am going to use my SnS which sits in the garage, unused. My question to the group is which way do they prefer to cook ribs using the SnS. Do you dump a full chimney of lit charcoal into the SnS, or do you prefer to light one end using a tumbleweed and have the charcoal burn its way across the SnS over time? I plan to use the 3-2-1 method, fill the reservoir full of water, as well as add a hickory chunk or two on top of the charcoal for smoke.

Thanks,

Bob / hansonb4

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
Re: Ribs w/ SnS
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 03:59:05 AM »
I light about 12-15 coals in my chimney. Pour them once fully lit it 1 corner and stack as best as you can. Then fill the rest of the SnS with briquettes. Place your lid on and open all vents to max while the grill comes up to temp.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 03:59:42 AM »
I dont add the wood chunks till I'm ready to start cookin.

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 04:16:47 AM »
I dont add the wood chunks till I'm ready to start cookin.

Thanks @WildonionAB . Yes, I've watched enough cooking with Ry and know to keep the lid off long enough for the wood to catch, then put the lid on. Thanks for your tip.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 04:32:20 AM »
Been a while, but I have the best success with option B that you described.  Bring up temps slowly beginning with a tumbleweed on one side.  Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

aaronw915

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 06:06:52 AM »
I got a full 8 hours out of my SNS by putting 10 coals in the corner and lighting with my tumbleweed

Once the coals were ashed over I dumped a whole chimney in the SNS and placed 2 chunks of pecan in. One right above the hot spot and one about 4 inches away. Provided plenty of smoke flavor.

Haven’t done ribs with the SNS but wanted to share my pork butt cook experiment.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Jrzy.Hillbilly

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 07:04:05 AM »
I 2nd or 3rd what others have stated.  ~10 briquettes in corner and light and get going.  Then add briquettes to fill rest of SnS and add 2 or 3 wood chunks.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 10:10:48 AM »
i add lit coals to the corner, and i put the wood in there at the start.

i wait for the right smoke before putting on the food

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 02:14:44 PM »
I light about 12-15 coals in my chimney. Pour them once fully lit it 1 corner and stack as best as you can. Then fill the rest of the SnS with briquettes. Place your lid on and open all vents to max while the grill comes up to temp.

This
Plus don't forget to add water and yes, wait for the right smoke
May The Smoke Be With You!

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 02:16:53 PM »

This
Plus don't forget to add water and yes, wait for the right smoke
I stopped using the water trough ages ago. I just spritz a few times with apple cider vinegar instead, according to my family they find this the better than when I used the water trough.

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 03:00:44 PM »
So i didn't use any SnS, I instead used a basket but only lit about 6-7 briquets and was able to consistently dial in 225-265. Thank you to everyone for their advice.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 04:01:33 AM »
Those are looking good
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill