Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Heat shield pan/expansion setup  (Read 3491 times)

AmirMortal

• Smokey Joe
Heat shield pan/expansion setup
« on: September 26, 2020, 11:53:37 AM »
So I'm further experimenting with my concept of using a large steel paella pan as a heat deflector/water pan, along with my Onlyfire expansion ring.

Using minion method below the pan, and so far it seems to want to lock in right at 225F with the bottom vents open 1/3rd.

I've got a mini WSM and a couple of kettles, so I'm kinda just playing with toys to see what works. Nothin on the grill yet today.

Anyone have any thoughts about this setup?

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
Re: Heat shield pan/expansion setup
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 08:04:59 AM »
I see what you're trying to do, but I have a question on the size. My Cajun Bandit came with a 15" pizza plate to do the same job & I think maybe thats a better fit for a 22" kettle? You can see it here inside the fire ring that came with the stacker  kit.
It doesn't have a lip though so water would be in a separate container, I just use a disposable foil pie plate as a grease catcher & water trough.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Heat shield pan/expansion setup
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 08:28:06 AM »
The pizza pan is a deflector and the ring is for the charcoal grate. I have done cooks with and without the deflector depending on what you are going for. The CB is a solid unit.
I see what you're trying to do, but I have a question on the size. My Cajun Bandit came with a 15" pizza plate to do the same job & I think maybe thats a better fit for a 22" kettle? You can see it here inside the fire ring that came with the stacker  kit.
It doesn't have a lip though so water would be in a separate container, I just use a disposable foil pie plate as a grease catcher & water trough.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.