Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vent wheel question  (Read 1871 times)

Bearded

• WKC Brave
Re: Vent wheel question
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 01:08:56 PM »
Same. But maybe last 20 minutes. That has only happened on 2 of the 5 smokes though.
   How much sauce are you using and when do you apply it? When I use a sauce I apply it for the last ten/fifteen minutes of the cook.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2020, 02:22:06 AM »
Try it with the top vent wide open.  Control temps with the bottom vent as stated earlier.  It may take a while to burn that stuff off if you don't clean it. 
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

Bearded

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 12:41:20 PM »
That worked out pretty well! Got it cleaned up. Took the dremel to the gauges I made when whacking it with the spatula to get it to move.

I am now burning a full chimney with the vent wide open to make sure all the cleaner is gone and to dry out my lava lock seal on the lid and the lid itself.

Thanks for the tip.

I am also going to try one or two less wood chunks in a cook and try the top vent wide open.

Take it out in the yard with a garden hose and an SOS pad.  Most of that should come off.  Turn the vent slowly while scrubbing so you get the junk on the actual lid between the holes.  I actually did this yesterday- see my “Inspirational Kettle” post.  It cleaned up nicely, vent goop included.  And I agree with others, that’s a lot of goop for 5 cooks.  Might want to keep it open and control temps with the lower intake vents.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 03:58:16 PM »
Looks much better!  Glad you have it figured out....

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 06:23:33 AM »
Vent wide open.  i hope you read the instructions.  Show us your legs.  not caddywampus are they?
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

Bearded

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2020, 08:10:50 AM »
Oh no. I'm lost. Do the directions state vents wide open?

What's wrong with my grill legs [emoji854]
Vent wide open.  i hope you read the instructions.  Show us your legs.  not caddywampus are they?

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2020, 03:22:08 PM »
Oh no. I'm lost. Do the directions state vents wide open?

What's wrong with my grill legs [emoji854]
Looking at the thread...IDK what the legs look like, but definitely reduce the wood. 2 chunks will give more than enough flavor.  For short cooks, 1 or less.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;