Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ribeyes tomorrow  (Read 1735 times)

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
Ribeyes tomorrow
« on: September 19, 2020, 06:42:22 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am cooking three ribeyes tomorrow on the kettle. I have several tools at my disposal: slow and sear/vortex, hickory chunks, marinades. What's your favorite way to cook a ribeye?

Thanks, - Bob

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ribeyes tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 07:21:25 AM »
Bob
I like to use Royal Oak lump coal for cooking steaks and whatever wood chunks I have available in the shed.

Charcoal can be placed in char baskets, SnS, mounded or a vortex. I use full lite chimney of coals dumped in any of the above. Grill Grate is growing on me.

I sear both side 2-4 minutes and then cook indirect with lid on kettle and monitor temp with Thermoworks Chef alarm until desired temp.

Me personally I like salt and black pepper on a steak. Nothing wrong with a good marinade, I’m sure other will chime in on the best marinade.

Cheers and good luck with your cook.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 07:24:44 AM by AZ2FL »

aaronw915

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 09:21:48 AM »
Salt. Pepper.

Reverse sear on the grill grates for the final cross hatch

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 09:38:49 AM »
Salt. Pepper.

Reverse sear is always good too.

I hope that’s a Weber gasser lol ... fire box and lid lip appear to be Weber.

Nice looking tomahawk!!!!
Cheers

aaronw915

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 09:46:18 AM »

Salt. Pepper.

Reverse sear is always good too.

I hope that’s a Weber gasser lol ... fire box and lid lip appear to be Weber.

Nice looking tomahawk!!!!
Cheers

Haha yea. It’s a Weber Genesis.

I did the same on the 22 Kettle but didn’t get pictures.

aaronw915

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 10:12:25 AM »

Hello everyone,

I am cooking three ribeyes tomorrow on the kettle. I have several tools at my disposal: slow and sear/vortex, hickory chunks, marinades. What's your favorite way to cook a ribeye?

Thanks, - Bob

Well?  How did you cook them and how did they turn out?

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 03:52:31 AM »

Hello everyone,

Thanks, - Bob

Well?  How did you cook them and how did they turn out?

They turned out pretty good. Another day, another lesson. I loaded the chimney, got them going; meanwhile, I went inside and took the steaks out and put them on a cookie sheet to get up a little towards room temperature. I kosher salted and peppered them. Threw on some Yukon Gold into a pot and brought them to a boil. I headed back outside. Now mind you, I have the cooking grate off because of the chimney. I grabbed to two charcoal baskets and dumped the charcoal in them. I had some snuffed out briquets from the night before, so I tossed those into the baskets, which were back to back, aligning them so that about 2/5 of the grill could be direct to sear and then back off to an indirect cook. I put the grate on and then I realized with the extra briquets, the top of the charcoal was maybe an inch from the grate, perhaps half an inch.

I tossed the steaks on direct, about 30 seconds, then rotated 45 degrees for nice crossmarks. Flipped them over and did the same. Since the steaks were only an inch thick, I cooked them about 4 minutes more on each side for a total of 10 minutes and brought them in. They were a perfect medium-rare and pared nicely with the yukon potato mash with butter/milk for creaminess, a little garlic and a dusting of paprika on top for color, as well as the french green beans.

My only complaint is that the supermarket that I go to, either Albertsons or Winn Co. in Arlington, TX, only seem to have steaks that are on the thin-side. I need to find a good butcher shop.

And yes, I forgot to take pictures.