Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Wok on the kettle  (Read 1178 times)

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
First Wok on the kettle
« on: September 15, 2020, 04:39:40 PM »
This afternoon I seasoned my new Wok and proceeded to make a chicken fried rice. I've done it on a gas stove but it makes a mess, while the stove never gets hot enough. I just moved to Texas and my house has an induction cooktop so no stovetop. Alas, I can use my new Weber Performer!

It turned out pretty good, but I learned a few things:

1. Don't use the Vortex under the Wok. I couldn't rest the wok on the grate as it instead sits on the Vortex, which then starves the charcoal of oxygen. Also it gets too hot. I should use baskets as they are lower

2. You have to constantly pull the wok away while stirring, else it gets too damn hot

3. The wok is hot and you can easily burn your finger. Yes, I did that.

All in all it was pretty good. I could of fried the rice a little more, also the carrots needed to cook more.  Also need to cut the chicken into smaller pieces. But at the end of the day, everyone is full.

Feedback is welcome.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
Re: First Wok on the kettle
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 07:02:44 PM »
Feedback: If you keep that up, you're going to have a lot of your new neighbors dropping in to see what's cooking. Looks dang good!
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 07:06:59 PM »
Sounds like a great learning experience. Family was full and that’s a win.

I parboil vegetable for 3-7 minutes depending on size and drain. Rice I’ll cook in advance (day before)and place in refrigerator to chill. Leave rice in refrigerator until just before you drop it into your  wok. You can add soy, spices and fish sauce prior to putting in wok.

Over the years I’ve tried to use charcoal with a wok. I always go back to a propane burner, it’s more consistent.

I agree chicken could have been cut smaller and more oil added to the wok.

Try sesame oil too..one tablespoon goes along way.

Thanks for sharing your cook!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 03:46:37 AM »
Looks good, just a WOK in the park, i like to learn everytime I cook, especially if everyone is full when they eat
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 06:04:44 PM »
Looks great! I love to use the Wok on my grill also.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 06:10:27 PM »
Maybe I just need to try the wok on the grill again!