Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Gas Go-Anywhere vs Q1200  (Read 6999 times)

vietqdoan

• Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Go-Anywhere vs Q1200
« on: September 10, 2020, 01:53:51 PM »
Hello friends,
I have a charcoal jumbo joe and charcoal Go-Anywhere, the beaches and parks near town, only allow gas cooking/grilling.
Between Gas Go-Anywhere and Q1200, which one would you prefer and why?  Thanks and have a great day.  Vincent.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 04:11:23 PM by vietqdoan »

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Gas Go-Anywhere vs Q1200
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 03:49:53 PM »
The Q is the better of the 2 grills.  But, it is heavier to tote around and not as amenable to packing in the trunk of a car, etc.  The questions you should begin with, are "what are my needs?  Portability?  Grill space?  Etc.  Also, what kind of cooks am I doing?"

The Q is probably the better for more advanced cooks.  But, for simple burgers and dogs, why bother with the extra expense?

I own CGA and GGA.  I love them both.  I camped for 30 days around the country, a family of 5, with nothing but a GGA.  It is a great grill.  But the primary reasons I opted for that over the Q were portability, packability, and price.  If it was solely about cooking, I would have gone with the Q.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

vietqdoan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 04:22:23 PM »
Thanks Foster, I have the CGA, and love it for the size, and space needed in my sedan trunk.  But the room and space of Q1200 offers is much better than GGA, that's why I asked for opinion

AmirMortal

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 11:09:46 AM »
I own both a GGA and the Q1200. I enjoy both, but for different reasons. In stock setup the Q is superior in use, but the GGA is superior from a storage/portability perspective.

The Q seems to hold onto it's heat better because of a better engineered airflow setup, and the cast iron grates really help in that respect. Using foil as a heat shield and a trivet I'm able to keep temps around 250F, and it gets up to 500F+ if left to preheat for 15 minutes or more. It is also heavier and considerably taller than the GGA. I'm still not sure how I feel about the attached tables as they make the q1200 really wide which is a distinct disadvantage from a space conservation aspect. They also feel quite flimsy, but are nice to have for lightweight items.

The GGA has an unbeatable advantage in how it folds up, stows easily, and has a stable carry handle when folded up. Cast iron grates (even cast stainless) can be added to the GGA while still keeping the overall price at roughly half the MSRP for the Q.

The main disadvantage that I perceive with the GGA is it's susceptibility to wind, but there are some workarounds for that too.

Both are very capable grills, but they each seem to serve a slightly different niche. If you'll mainly use it at home where storage isn't much of an issue and only travel with it occasionally, then I'd go with the Q. If you intend on actually doing some camping/travelling on the regular, or if space is tight, then I'd probably go with the GGA.

Added: I should also mention that the lid for the Q is removable with just a couple of pins to make transport easier, and the tables fold into the grill space for storage.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 11:15:09 AM by AmirMortal »

vietqdoan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 02:55:02 PM »
Thanks Amir

BigEasy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 06:37:18 AM »
I too own both and they get serious work outs as I travel for work and one of them is with me on just about every trip.

As stated the GGA wins the portability contest and the Q the versatility contest.

One thing to note along with wind issues with the GGA is it just doesn’t get as hot as the Q or hold heat as well. Heat retention is really only an issue when it’s cold out.