Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Back in business after the Iowa Derecho!  (Read 1627 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Back in business after the Iowa Derecho!
« on: September 07, 2020, 10:31:38 AM »
So I consider myself very fortunate these days. If you’re not aware, a few weeks ago Iowa was hit very hard by a derecho, which is basically an inland hurricane.  Honestly, I had never heard of a derecho prior to the one that hit us. I was lucky that my house was not hit as hard as many others, and we did not experience loss of power for as long as many (up to two weeks for some).  It’s sad to see how many old trees were just destroyed by the 130mph winds and all the farms that lost crops, silos, barns, etc. Truly devastating. On the positive side, people really pulled together to help one another, and we all became a much closer community.   And it also gave us something  to think about other than this Covid BS. Now we’re all trying to get back to some sense of normalcy.  So today I finally got to clean up my grill area. The Weber Gods were clearly looking out for me as most of my grills remained safe thanks to my somewhat now twisted fence.  Frankly, most fences didn’t even survive, so I’m a happy guy. I recognize that many people are dealing with much more important issues these days, and they have my sympathy and prayers. Just wanted to post something positive. Family is safe and grills survived. Best to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 10:57:51 AM by mcgolden »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Back in business after the Iowa Derecho!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 11:47:18 AM »
Good to hear that you are ok!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 12:09:44 PM »
Glad your grills and family were unscathed! Setup looks awesome! (1/3 pk tho =-)

We were out of power for 5 days and had some tree and debris work but luckily a guy buying a gasser came by and mentioned he was in town on assignment and low and behold he works cutting trees for power companies... he came back 3 days later with a rope and an apprentice. Then with my reciprocating saw and, hand saw he cleaned up my too front trees in about 30min.

They left with a 22, a sjg, full bag of Kingsford, Chimney, full pack of lighter cubes and set of stainless tools I picked up for free with a grill at some point.

They left happy as could be he came back 3 days later to pickup the initial gasser buy and headed home.

Good dude doing good work glad I met him.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 02:50:18 PM by Red_5_Wrangler »
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 01:24:00 PM »

Glad your grills and family were unscathed! Setup looks awesome! (1/3 pk tho =-)

We were out of power for 5 days and had some tree and debris work but luckily a guy buying a gasser came by and mentioned he was in town on assignment and low and behold he works cutting frees for power companies... he came back 3 days later with a rope and an apprentice. Then with my reciprocating saw and, hand saw he cleaned up my too front trees in about 30min.

They left with a 22, a sjg, full bag of Kingsford, Chimney, full pack of lighter cubes and set of stainless tools I picked up for free with a grill at some point.

They left happy as could be he came back 3 days later to pickup the initial gasser buy and headed home.

Good dude doing good work glad I met him.

Restores your faith in humanity. [emoji3]

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 03:13:47 PM »
Glad you weathered the storm and have a community that can come together

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 07:36:42 AM »
We had one blow down a hay barn down the road when I was a kid, I think they called them microburst back then.
Ps, I'm still kicking myself for not buying these 2 pk's at an estate sale

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 12:39:46 PM »
We get the micro burst from time to time too but this storm was sustained winds for 45min to an hr. It really was described as an inland hurricane. Just grabbed a grill from a guy in ames that had lost power for 10 days then lost it again for another day after getting it back. (Thank goodness we only lost it for half that) I am usually the idiot watching the storm from the porch... I wouldn't have even been able to stand.

As the storm approached I was running around like a crazy man shoving every grill close to the garage inside any grill far away got flipped upside down with the lids on the ground, any grill I couldn't live without made it in the kitchen and the giant double table 26 got shoved against the garage with a mattress against it with the gasser in front to holdnthe mattress and be the cannon fodder should it be needed.

We had one blow down a hay barn down the road when I was a kid, I think they called them microburst back then.

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 12:45:40 PM »
Nice set up and have a blessed day.
So I consider myself very fortunate these days. If you’re not aware, a few weeks ago Iowa was hit very hard by a derecho, which is basically an inland hurricane.  Honestly, I had never heard of a derecho prior to the one that hit us. I was lucky that my house was not hit as hard as many others, and we did not experience loss of power for as long as many (up to two weeks for some).  It’s sad to see how many old trees were just destroyed by the 130mph winds and all the farms that lost crops, silos, barns, etc. Truly devastating. On the positive side, people really pulled together to help one another, and we all became a much closer community.   And it also gave us something  to think about other than this Covid BS. Now we’re all trying to get back to some sense of normalcy.  So today I finally got to clean up my grill area. The Weber Gods were clearly looking out for me as most of my grills remained safe thanks to my somewhat now twisted fence.  Frankly, most fences didn’t even survive, so I’m a happy guy. I recognize that many people are dealing with much more important issues these days, and they have my sympathy and prayers. Just wanted to post something positive. Family is safe and grills survived. Best to all!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 10:52:23 AM »

As the storm approached I was running around like a crazy man shoving every grill close to the garage inside any grill far away got flipped upside down with the lids on the ground, any grill I couldn't live without made it in the kitchen and the giant double table 26 got shoved against the garage with a mattress against it with the gasser in front to holdnthe mattress and be the cannon fodder should it be needed.

Sounds like me. I heard a few minutes before  the storm came and rushed out to put my new glen blue in the corner of the fence and my redhead behind the air conditioner for protection. Every one of my covers blew off, but luckily they all ended up in the corner of the fence. So no losses.

MANCHAS2020

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 06:16:51 AM »
Hello from Costa Rica and so glad that you and family are A-OK.

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 06:40:19 PM »
Glad you and your family are ok.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger