Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Snake method  (Read 2208 times)

breeves85

• Happy Cooker
Snake method
« on: September 05, 2020, 05:29:30 AM »
Good morning from iowa
I have a full 14 lb brisket. I am going to attempt to smoke this on Sunday for my family. Any ideas how I should go about this? I've only ever smoked a flat on my kettle with indirect heat. Is it possible to smoke this full 14 lbs on one kettle? Thoughts on the snake method? Or is indirect heat my way to go? I have also thought about cutting id in half and firing up both my kettles.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Snake method
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 08:56:28 AM »
Snake method will work well on a brisket...so will modified minion method.  It depends in what method you are most comfortable using, but yes, you can do a full packer without cutting the brisket in 1/2 and using 2 grills.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

steven-o

• Smokey Joe
Snake method
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 09:26:56 AM »
I do the snake method. I do 4 rows 2x2 stacked like dominos about 7/8 around the bowl. That will last me about 9 hours before I have to refill charcoal.
  I prefer pecan wood chunks and I use a water bowl and a BGE round tin for a heat diffuser. I put the tin on a cooking grate and put another grate on top.
  I usually try for 250° with the bottom vent cracked and the top wide open. It usually runs 220°-275°. I don’t care on the temp swing. I’ve done a 17lb brisket no problem. I usually try for a 15lb and the take 10-16hours. I tried to be done by 1:00 pm and put it in a cooler to rest. You can rest them in a cooler a long time.
  See the attached brisket and pork belly burnt ends for how I set up. And the bowl is filled 3/4 full of hot water for briskets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steven-o

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 04:59:05 PM »
Good morning from iowa
I have a full 14 lb brisket. I am going to attempt to smoke this on Sunday for my family. Any ideas how I should go about this? I've only ever smoked a flat on my kettle with indirect heat. Is it possible to smoke this full 14 lbs on one kettle? Thoughts on the snake method? Or is indirect heat my way to go? I have also thought about cutting id in half and firing up both my kettles.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Well??? How did it turn out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 07:25:49 PM »
@steven-o
Brisket and pork belly look grate!