Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What's your Labor Day grilling plan?  (Read 5097 times)

jduganjr

• Happy Cooker
Re: What's your Labor Day grilling plan?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2020, 04:21:56 AM »
Lamb chops last night. Want to try Smash burgers today.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jduganjr

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2020, 04:23:56 AM »
Pic

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2020, 04:53:10 AM »
Marinated flank steak was on the grill last night. Delicious!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bearded

• WKC Brave
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2020, 06:06:59 AM »
Yum. This has been added to the list. [emoji854]

What's in those onion bombs? They look good.
Meatloaf and onion bombs

so I hollowed out some big onions into a bowl like shape. The filled with the meatloaf mixture. Smoked them for about 1.5 hours at 350. Then sprinkled with chipotle Tabasco, slathered some Carolina style bbq sauce. Let it go for ten minutes then a hand of cheddar. Then 10 more, and wala! Oh I forgot the bacon. About 2.5 pieces of bacon on each one.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2020, 07:20:11 AM »
So far a busy but productive morning. First time making corn tortillas. It was a pleasant experience.

Fire roasted salsa has some good kick because of the chile de arbol and Serranos. Wife actually enjoyed it too. 

Just put the marrow on.

Then I’ll munch on that while throwing the hanger on.

Beautiful cloudless day here in central Ohio.

There is nothing like fresh homemade corn or flour tortilla and fire roasted salsa. 

Tomatillo are also a nice addition to roasted salsa.

Nice cook!

aaronw915

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2020, 05:27:06 PM »
So far a busy but productive morning. First time making corn tortillas. It was a pleasant experience.

Fire roasted salsa has some good kick because of the chile de arbol and Serranos. Wife actually enjoyed it too. 

Just put the marrow on.

Then I’ll munch on that while throwing the hanger on.

Beautiful cloudless day here in central Ohio.

There is nothing like fresh homemade corn or flour tortilla and fire roasted salsa. 

Tomatillo are also a nice addition to roasted salsa.

Nice cook!

Thank you!!

I agree the tomatillos add a nice flavor element to the salsa.  I am also now hooked on fresh tortillas.  I'm sure my first batch was no where near what they could've been, but they were still way better than store bought!  And cheaper to make too. 

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2020, 06:57:04 PM »
@aaronw915
If your first attempt at corn tortillas were better than store bought then your on the right track. Thats great your using a cast iron pan. Once you get them dialed in you’ll be using two pans.

A few tips I’ve learned making corn tortillas. Make them 30 minutes in advance, wrap them in clean dish towels and then aluminum foil. This will keep them warm and helps them kinda continue to cook and not be so brittle. Invest in a good corn tortillas press.

To reheat cold corn tortillas, preheat cast iron pan. Grab one tortilla and quickly dunk into a bowl of cold water and place in cast iron pan for about 10 seconds per side.  Transfer warmed tortilla into a clean dish towel and wrap. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

Flour tortillas are easy to make too.
I use a 1” OD x 13” length piece of white pvc plumbing pipe as a rolling pin. That’s an old trick I learned while vacationing in Mexico 25 years ago.

Flour tortillas cook considerable faster then corn. Once the cast iron pan heat is dialed in, they only need to cook for 15-20 seconds per side. Wrap in dish towels to keep warm.

That’s my two cents worth lol
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 04:07:24 AM by AZ2FL »

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2020, 03:26:01 AM »
@aaronw915 that looks like a great meal. I love the fire-roasted veggies for the salsa. Garden fresh!

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
What's your Labor Day grilling plan?
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2020, 04:12:48 AM »
Late post from my Labor Day weekend

Friday: Pork Loin pin wheel (pics posted in an earlier post)
Saturday: Cooked brisket burgers on the boat with a SJ (pics posted in an earlier post)
Sunday: Chuck roast burnt ends
Monday: Pork shoulder and sides on 26" GB, ground two select packer briskets and smoked 33lbs of jalapeno summer sausage in my cabinet smoker and boiled six pounds of green peanuts with dill pickles on the propane burner.
My wife roasted onions, tomatillos, peppers and tomatoes and made fresh salsa.

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 04:55:37 AM by AZ2FL »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2020, 05:43:32 AM »
Late post from my Labor Day weekend

Friday: Pork Loin pin wheel (pics posted in an earlier post)
Saturday: Cooked brisket burgers on the boat with a SJ (pics posted in an earlier post)
Sunday: Chuck roast burnt ends
Monday: Pork shoulder and sides on 26" GB, ground two select packer briskets and smoked 33lbs of jalapeno summer sausage in my cabinet smoker and boiled six pounds of green peanuts with dill pickles on the propane burner.
My wife roasted onions, tomatillos, peppers and tomatoes and made fresh salsa.

Cheers

Wow, you guys had a heck of a grilling weekend.  Weather must have cooperated there.  Was really nice in N. Alabama as well and we were able to grill as much as my wife could stand lol......

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2020, 07:05:22 AM »
@bamakettles
Weather was nice all four days, with a few light showers.

I know what you mean by "we were able to grill as much as my wife could stand" that happens at our house too lol

To get her more involved, she has been shadowing me grilling/smoking the past two months and is ready to plan her own cook now. She lit her own coals, spread them and roasted vegetables for salsa. She also made blueberry BBQ sauce for pulled pork this weekend.

My thinking is, if she's more involved with grilling she'll find new recipes, spices and cuts of meat.

Men are creatures of habit lol  I could live on the 3B food groups (beer, brisket and burgers) haha

Cheers

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2020, 07:28:43 AM »
@bamakettles
Weather was nice all four days, with a few light showers.

I know what you mean by "we were able to grill as much as my wife could stand" that happens at our house too lol

To get her more involved, she has been shadowing me grilling/smoking the past two months and is ready to plan her own cook now. She lit her own coals, spread them and roasted vegetables for salsa. She also made blueberry BBQ sauce for pulled pork this weekend.

My thinking is, if she's more involved with grilling she'll find new recipes, spices and cuts of meat.

Men are creatures of habit lol  I could live on the 3B food groups (beer, brisket and burgers) haha

Cheers

Good plan!  My wife enjoys making dishes from her heritage (Italian) as well as baking.  So on Monday while I was smoking ribs she made two cakes, peach topping and home made peach ice cream.  So we were both treated with what the other made.  We are each other's sous chefs depending on what we're making.  Just seems to work.  But I agree with the beer and burgers - add fresh seafood and chicken wings and I'm good!

BTW, have you ever tried Oyster City Beer from Apalachicola?  I understand that they are now offering it in grocery stores possibly around your area.  I really like Hooter Brown and Tate's Helles.  Some of the best I've had.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2020, 08:07:51 AM »
@bamakettles

Good plan!  My wife enjoys making dishes from her heritage (Italian) as well as baking.  So on Monday while I was smoking ribs she made two cakes, peach topping and home made peach ice cream.  So we were both treated with what the other made.  We are each other's sous chefs depending on what we're making.  Just seems to work.  But I agree with the beer and burgers - add fresh seafood and chicken wings and I'm good!

BTW, have you ever tried Oyster City Beer from Apalachicola?  I understand that they are now offering it in grocery stores possibly around your area.  I really like Hooter Brown and Tate's Helles.  Some of the best I've had.

Your wife's cakes, toppings and ice-cream sounds delicious. Sounds like you guys have the kitchen duties figured out.

My wife bakes about once or twice a week and cans jams/jellies when fruit is in season. I'm not a baker, since I tend to freelance recipes, that doesn't lend itself to baking.

I've been to OCB several times in Aplach, they do make good beer. I'll check the local liquor stores and Publix for OCB. Thanks for the heads up.

PM sent about SGI