Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What's your Labor Day grilling plan?  (Read 5099 times)

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
What's your Labor Day grilling plan?
« on: September 04, 2020, 02:49:01 AM »
This is arguably the best grill day in the States; Memorial Day is often times rainy, Independence Day can be too darn hot, while Labor Day signals the end of summer and the temptation to look back and say "gosh, summer went by so fast; let's make this a celebration."

With all of that being said, what is on YOUR grill this weekend and is there any secrets you can share? I think here, a pot of 'Texas Red' chili might be in order, tomorrow while on Monday I know I will be grilling marinated flank steak and some baked potatoes. Ahead of time, I will make my family-adored black bean and corn salad. If you want a delicious, cold salad, here is my not-so-secret recipe; I highly, HIGHLY recommend this one. I cannot remember where I got it from, but is so healthy that you can only nitpick the fact that "the corn is a starch!" Anyway, here it is:

The dressing:
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
 1/2 cup olive oil
 1 clove garlic, minced
 1 teaspoon salt
 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

The salad:
 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained. **RINSE THEM UNDER COLD WATER UNTIL WATER IS CLEAR**
 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
 6 green onions, thinly sliced
 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Notes:
1. I rarely use green onion and instead use white onion as I generally have that laying around.
2. Add the avocado right before serving, otherwise it turns greenish/brown. Sometimes I cut up the avocado a couple of minutes before and put it into a bowl for people to add it to their own bowls as needed. The reason for that is that the leftover salad will keep for a couple of days, but the avocado after a few hours can make it look unappealing.
3. Cut the tomatoes, onions and pepper to the same size as the corn and black beans.

If you make it, please let me know how it turned out! :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 02:51:34 AM by hansonb4 »

Hoprock

• Smokey Joe
Re: What's your Labor Day grilling plan?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 05:32:47 AM »
Texas Caviar-Very good stuff!

I have a Boston Butt for either today or tomorrow, but I think Sunday will be the day to tackle a Brisket.

Good luck and Enjoy!
2020 Performer (Slate Blue)
2015 Smokey Joe (Black)
2010 22" Original (Black)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 06:04:18 AM »
No plans in stone yet, supposed to be sunny and mid 80s for the highs Friday - Monday here in Northern Alabama.  Going to Costco today and see what they've got.....

aaronw915

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 11:14:29 AM »
Smashburgers for the family tonight cooked on the Weber 22 GrillGrates but turned sideways to fit the gasser.  My wife doesn't like charcoal  :(

Tomorrow (all on the Kettle):

Bone Marrow, Hanger Steak, and salsa asado de tuétano oh my

I have 3 large bones soaking in salt water right now.  I'm going to hork down most of the marrow with some white toast.  The rest i'm going to add into a Fire Roasted salsa with veggies from my garden.

Hanger steak to follow that.

And i'm going to attempt to make my first batch of corn tortilla's as well. 

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 01:41:16 PM »
I have a small prime rib roast in the WSM now.  I've never smoked one before but I'm doing it fairly hot and fast with a hint of cherry smoke.  The rest of the weekend, I haven't gotten that far yet.

aaronw915

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 02:14:38 PM »
Let the holiday weekend begin. Smash burgers and special sauce. (Pickle juice instead of diced pickle)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 03:14:43 PM »
We’ll figure something out....   8-)

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 04:20:32 PM »

I see a what appears to be a twin pack of pork shoulder (Boston butt) and ribs. I can’t make out the rest. Looks like your set for the weekend.

We had a pork loin pinwheel stuffed with sun-dried tomatoes, Gouda cheese, sautés onions & baby Bella mushrooms and homemade bread crumbs. Sides were corn on cob and fingerling potatoes.

Depending on the weather which looks good, we’ll take the boat to the springs and grill burgers on the boat.
Cheers and have a good weekend

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 04:37:09 PM »

I see a what appears to be a twin pack of pork shoulder (Boston butt) and ribs. I can’t make out the rest. Looks like your set for the weekend.

We had a pork loin pinwheel stuffed with sun-dried tomatoes, Gouda cheese, sautés onions & baby Bella mushrooms and homemade bread crumbs. Sides were corn on cob and fingerling potatoes.

Depending on the weather which looks good, we’ll take the boat to the springs and grill burgers on the boat.
You nailed it!  The other packs are thighs and wings.  (Price was too good to pass up)

The pinwheels look amazing!  Boating sounds great and burgers are always a hit.  Have fun!

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 06:21:13 PM »

LOL - I just have to comment. My buddies and I always make it a point that when one of us takes a picture of whatever we are talking about, for example he takes a picture of his car in front of his house, instead of commenting on the car, we'll each zoom in and nit-pick about something we see in the photo, like a broken hose reel, a window that is fogged because the seal is broken, a brown spot in the yard that is dead, etc... We won't dignify the point he is making about the car, rather we will razz him about the other stuff.

I love that you zoomed into his fridge and "picked through his stuff."

Bearded

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 07:58:48 PM »
Those pinwheels look and sound great!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 05:42:15 AM »

LOL - I just have to comment. My buddies and I always make it a point that when one of us takes a picture of whatever we are talking about, for example he takes a picture of his car in front of his house, instead of commenting on the car, we'll each zoom in and nit-pick about something we see in the photo, like a broken hose reel, a window that is fogged because the seal is broken, a brown spot in the yard that is dead, etc... We won't dignify the point he is making about the car, rather we will razz him about the other stuff.

I love that you zoomed into his fridge and "picked through his stuff."

That's awesome..... so after your comment I looked a little closer at the freezer picture.  The bin below the meat contains multiple bags of frozen berries for my wife's smoothies.... I guess  we see who will live longer lol.....

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 06:38:22 AM »
My daughter (brand new nurse, just got her RN! I’m so proud I could burst!) has a lovely coworker who recently moved back home, a 2 hr drive. Coworker is working the weekend and my daughter asked if she could stay with us as we are a nice 15 min drive from the hospital. Of course! I’ll be smoking a butt but that will be for tomorrow. I think tonight will be a nice bbq meatloaf as leftovers will be just as good as the original dish. There will be wings in there somewhere too. Coworker has already asked if they can “swap moms”. Lol. And Th I made tacos al pastor for the first time and they were SO GOOD that I’m getting another boneless butt today to pop in the marinade so I can make them again Mon or Tu. Honeybun and I took a cooking class last night that was “Latin Foods” and one of the recipes was tamales that they used pulled pork for the filling (which I know as “Delta style tamales” as we have a local pop up that sells them.) So that could be in my future as well. Along with the sangria they made last night... :)

aaronw915

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 08:39:29 AM »
So far a busy but productive morning. First time making corn tortillas. It was a pleasant experience.

Fire roasted salsa has some good kick because of the chile de arbol and Serranos. Wife actually enjoyed it too. 

Just put the marrow on.

Then I’ll munch on that while throwing the hanger on.

Beautiful cloudless day here in central Ohio.

aaronw915

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 09:34:34 AM »
Wow. That was delicious.

One of the best tacos I ever had.

Hanger steak for the rest of the week and no marrow left.

I call today a success.