Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The Big Pizza Charcoal Basket  (Read 5491 times)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
The Big Pizza Charcoal Basket
« on: September 02, 2020, 11:27:32 AM »
Not sure if this has been done before, but I was inspired by the bigger better basket mod and I saw a photo of how a pizza cue set up clearly had the charcoal shaped in a "C" shape.  Prior to this mod I would do what everyone else would do.  Use a couple charcoal baskets in a partial "C" shape and bank the coals against the bowl.  It works, but it generally it would still require coals right against the bowl.  So I had some extra charcoal baskets laying around and decided to try something different. 

First things first I used some pliers to disassemble 3 charcoal baskets.  I took two of the outside pieces of the baskets and using the existing holes I took some old screw/nut hardware and fastened them together.  Using two inside/bottom pieces I test fitted them inside the bowl with the charcoal grate.  I used a sharpie to mark how wide I wanted the basket to be and then set a 3rd inside/bottom piece inside the big basket to figure out the placement.  I then marked where I wanted to drill my holes to attach two more screws/nuts.  I used a nail to punch a hole in the metal and then a step down drill bit to widen the holes out.  I test fitted the 3rd inside/bottom piece in the big basket again to mark two holes where the existing holes already were in the big basket.  After all my holes were drilled, I reassembled the 3rd basket in its original form, placed it in the big basket, and it attached it all together with hardware.  Did a little metal shaping by hand in the grill and it was done. 

I think it should work pretty well.  At its narrowest point there is approximately a 3" gap at the ends of the "C" channel and towards the middle there is probably a 6" gap.  Probably the best part of the basket is that it should keep a majority of the coals from being directly against the bowl of the grill.  I plan on giving it a test run this weekend! 

Let me know if anyone has questions!

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: The Big Pizza Charcoal Basket
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 11:28:27 AM »
The pics...

I placed the kettle pizza tombstone grate in the kettle pizza ring just to see how it lined up.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 12:16:23 PM »
Nice job!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 05:48:58 AM »
Nice Job Bill! I may have to borrow that design!
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 06:32:10 PM »
Not a bad idea!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 03:21:26 PM »
One heaping chimney of charcoal and fire! Probably enough capacity for at least 1/2 chimney or more that could be added without banking it against the kettle.

If I was making it from scratch I would do a higher outside wall and have it slanted back with the shape of the bowl. All and all this is pretty good for using some spare baskets.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 06:41:47 PM »
Dinner was delicious...

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 05:30:05 AM »
I was gonna ask where the pics were, scrolled down and saw them, then I was gonna ask where the pizza was, scrolled down and saw it too! Pretty slick design, I like it. And now I gotta make the trip to robot's pizzeria!

Ps, where is the basil? Lol