Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Texas cookout  (Read 2993 times)

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
Texas cookout
« on: August 31, 2020, 02:26:51 AM »
Having moved into my new home in Arlington, TX a little more than a week ago, I finally got around to assembling my Performer Deluxe and cooking out in this 104 degree heat. My daughter was back for the weekend from UNT and requested one of her favorites: pork cutlets, peppers and onions and home made baked beans. Okay, the rub is John Stage's Red Rub and the beans are Kent Rollins' Cowboy Beans recipe, but I'll claim them as my own! The larger dish had the chipotle peppers in it, while my wife gets the smaller one as she can't handle spicy food.

It required two batches of charcoal because of lack of room on the grill, plus I think I ruined my Corning Ware dishes as I can't get the glass back to its original clear color; any suggestions on that please let me know. Other than that, just floated around the pool all weekend in this excessive heat.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bearded

• WKC Brave
Re: Texas cookout
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 04:41:41 AM »
Looks good! I still need to try my hand a baked beans.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 05:36:58 AM »
looks good, try cast iron for you pans instead of corning ware clean up is a breeze
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 06:21:38 AM »
Looks tasty.
I like to use disposable aluminum pans for baked beans and sides. No cleanup

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 07:38:44 AM »
Looks good!  How do you like that Weber slotted pan for veggies?  I have the more shallow long one and it worked great for seafood and veggies last week at the beach.....

Bearded

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 11:49:18 AM »
Not the OP but I like it. The deep sides are nice for veggies. And they get a nice char.
Looks good!  How do you like that Weber slotted pan for veggies?  I have the more shallow long one and it worked great for seafood and veggies last week at the beach.....

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 03:14:31 PM »
Man that is a lot of good looking food!  As for the Corning dishes, they are now grill dishes!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Hoprock

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 08:20:32 AM »
I think the Heat Index was 113 on Saturday so I skipped grilling, but having the pool likely makes it easier. Good on you for making a go of it. Glad to see some Ag-Town representation!
2020 Performer (Slate Blue)
2015 Smokey Joe (Black)
2010 22" Original (Black)

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 10:06:32 AM »

I like it a lot, however I used to have a basket that fit nicely into a 9x12 corningware, so I could pull the basket off the fire and then nest it in the corningware and carry it in, without burning my hands. I don't have a similar-sized pan to put the Weber basket in, so I just put it on a cookie sheet when I bring it in.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 05:43:32 PM »
Having moved into my new home in Arlington, TX a little more than a week ago, I finally got around to assembling my Performer Deluxe and cooking out in this 104 degree heat. My daughter was back for the weekend from UNT and requested one of her favorites: pork cutlets, peppers and onions and home made baked beans. Okay, the rub is John Stage's Red Rub and the beans are Kent Rollins' Cowboy Beans recipe, but I'll claim them as my own! The larger dish had the chipotle peppers in it, while my wife gets the smaller one as she can't handle spicy food.

It required two batches of charcoal because of lack of room on the grill, plus I think I ruined my Corning Ware dishes as I can't get the glass back to its original clear color; any suggestions on that please let me know. Other than that, just floated around the pool all weekend in this excessive heat.

Did you try soaking the corningwear in vinegar yet?

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 01:40:50 AM »

That is an interesting suggestion and the answer is no, I haven't. I bought some baking soda and was going to try that first with a soft, nylon brillo pad. Lord knows I have to do something today as my wife keeps harping on me about those darn corningwares still sitting in the kitchen sink. Maybe I'll take some photos of them before and after, perhaps one with baking soda and the other with vinegar. IT WILL BE LIKE HIGH SCHOOL CHEMISTRY CLASS!!!! which i didn't do too well in... :(

Bearded

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 08:52:23 PM »
Try that combo too, vinegar/baking soda.

By their powers combined.....

That is an interesting suggestion and the answer is no, I haven't. I bought some baking soda and was going to try that first with a soft, nylon brillo pad. Lord knows I have to do something today as my wife keeps harping on me about those darn corningwares still sitting in the kitchen sink. Maybe I'll take some photos of them before and after, perhaps one with baking soda and the other with vinegar. IT WILL BE LIKE HIGH SCHOOL CHEMISTRY CLASS!!!! which i didn't do too well in... :(

hansonb4

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 02:33:47 AM »
So I tried the baking soda first and that cleared off most of it, the vinegar helped as well. However, there are some stubborn areas on the outside / outside lip that just won't come off. But that's okay; as 1911Ron pointed out, they are now "grillware," not "corningware."