Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Camp Cooking  (Read 1930 times)

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
Camp Cooking
« on: August 28, 2020, 06:10:42 PM »
Took a 3 day trip to Lakeport, a nice state park campground on Lake Huron, about 10 miles North of Port Huron, Michigan. My daughter and I shared cooking duties.

We've never used the stovetop in the camper, nor have we used the convection or grill features in the microwave. The microwave gets used for warming something up. For this trip we had 4 cooking methods. A regular 2-burner camp stove, a Blackstone griddle, a Jumbo Joe, and the open fire.

The Blackstone got a lot of use, from smash burgers to grilled zucchini, to pancake/bacon/egg breakfast. My daughter made chili over the fire, turned out great.

She had planned to make sausage gravy and biscuits for the second morning. When I asked how she planned to make the biscuits, there was this blank stare...she had brought the Jiffy mix and and everything else, but it didn't occur to her that this camper doesn't have an oven. We have no idea how to use the convection microwave. I should learn. Nah...

We tossed around some ideas. We could use bread; declined. Maybe we could take the large pot she used for chili and make it into an oven for the camp stove; possibly. We could make the biscuit dough and cook it on the Blackstone like a thick pancake. It would have to be done very low so as not to burn. Then it hit me: The Weber.

I got the coals going. While they heated, I lined the grate with foil to act as a shield, then I tore off another piece of foil a little more than twice as long as the grill and crinkled it up pretty good. I opened it back up and flattened it some, but not completely. I then folded it over double. I wanted to create air space between the bottom of the biscuits and coals so the Weber would act more like an oven. After a liberal coating of cooking spray I dropped the biscuit dough onto the foil and put the lid on. At first I couldn't get the temp up. It dawned on me the foil was stopping air. I folded the foil up by the grate handles and poked a bunch of holes in the foil straight through around the biscuits. Within minutes we were humming along at 350 or so. My daughter made the gravy on the camp stove (the only other thing it was used for besides coffee), and the biscuits were done just in time.

My granddaughter noted that the biscuits had a nice smoky flavor. BGE my ass!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Re: Camp Cooking
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 06:34:10 PM »
Very cool.  I’ve done bread on the grill but with a pizza stone. I like the idea of tinfoil on grill grate less to take and even better... less to clean. The Biscuits look great nicely done.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 07:15:01 PM »
We need a drooling emoji!  I love biscuits and gravy and your biscuits look great!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 04:04:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I should've taken a photo of the bottoms, they were golden brown. I was worried they'd burn because I didn't even set up for indirect, I just dumped the coals out of the chimney and spread them out like a regular cook. The crinkled up multi-layer foil did the trick. 

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 07:43:34 AM »
Damn fine looking biscuits

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 04:18:20 AM »
Very creative and good looking camp biscuits

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 05:35:42 AM »
Wow, that's so cool!  Weber to the rescue..... They look amazing.