Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First snake, first smoke, first beef roast  (Read 1412 times)

putoluto

• WKC Brave
First snake, first smoke, first beef roast
« on: July 23, 2020, 11:41:48 AM »
Today, after much reading over the months, I decided to smoke my first beef roast with my first snake. It's my first smoke.  I think I set it up all right. It's been on now for 3 hours. It's only 2 to 2.25 lbs. About an hour ago it stalled out in the low to mid 140's (internal meat temp).  The snake has been 225-250 until now.  I pulled it, wrapped it, and put it back. The temps dropped internally a couple degrees but are now climbing, up to 153F currently.  The internal ambient temp is now at 286F !! I haven't changed a thing with the vents: bottom cracked and top wide open. 

Is it normal for the internal meat temp to drop during the stall or for it to stall that early? Will my internal temps climb back down? It's at 289 now, so I'm gonna go close the bottom a teeny smidge.

For what it's worth, it is 80 degrees F here but high humidity. We just had a pop-up thundershower, not sure if that had any impact.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: First snake, first smoke, first beef roast
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 11:45:16 AM »
Looking good Joe!

Yes it can drop a little during the stall.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 11:53:50 AM »
Thanks Mike. The meat (both probes) are now at 163, and the internal temp is lowering. Drastically at first when I spun the grill around, but climbed back up to 280 but is now dropping again since I adjusted the vent a smidge - now at 273.  Whew, think I'm through the stall and coming out the other side. Got my towel and cooler ready to re-wrap and rest when I get to 204 :-)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 12:14:54 PM »
What type of roast?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 12:20:28 PM »
Packaging called it a "Sirloin Tip Oven Roast." A butcher I am not.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 01:59:51 PM »

Packaging called it a "Sirloin Tip Oven Roast." A butcher I am not.

Interesting. That’s normally a cut that gets cooked medium rare. Meaning it is lean and tender. Let us know how it turns out

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 04:01:04 PM »
Hoosier, we def cook our meat medium well to well. As another cardinal sin, I trim it down because I have to eat only lean meat. I had my gall bladder out a bunch of years ago, so the cholesterol-breaking enzymes no longer get made.  All that being said, I'm not disappointed in the results. The smoke ring was delicious!

I'm sure the general consensus is that I murdered that beef into boot leather, but it is what works for me. I'm really happy with the smoke ring though.

I pulled it off the grill entirely at 204 degrees F. The biggest surprise for me was that the fat didn't render and melt back into the meat like I thought it would. It sat there like any direct grilled steak fat. Huh.

Anyhow, thanks for yours and Mike's guidance.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 04:07:14 PM by putoluto »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 05:26:54 AM »
Looks good nice smoke ring. You might also like to smoke pork loin, pork tenderloin, beef eye of round. All lean that can handle a medium well finish.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 06:56:29 PM »
I shed tears looking at that meat, However, my lovely wife thought it was perfect.  I love my beef medium rare, but most people I know prefer it closer to well done. It's nice finding a cut that can be cooked close to well, and stays tender. It's one of the reasons I love prime rib or a blade roast, or brisket. 

I think the biggest trick to cooking meat well done is to do it slowly.