Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Minor mod. replacing the horrible factory lid thermometer.  (Read 2868 times)

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
Minor mod. replacing the horrible factory lid thermometer.
« on: July 20, 2020, 09:20:58 AM »
I know they aren't supposed to be accurate but with a range of errors from 50℉ COLD to 70℉ HOT they're a joke in poor taste.

I found a calibratable 3" replacement for $16.95 on E-Bay, but its fitted with a larger (1/2") thread fitting & I didn't want to drill the lid while its still under warranty. (You cal it with the little nut on the back.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-BBQ-Pit-Grill-Thermometer-Cooking-Dial-550F-Temp-Gauge-Smoker-Temperature-New/223822162329?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The answer is a 1/4"OD X 1/2" FTP reducing adapter from Lowes, # 877155.
unscrew the nut & remove the pipe connector (looks like a hollow brass nail) & the "olive" (kind of double tapered sleeve) & throw them out. All you need is the body & the nut.

There's a small step on the inside of the body, drill & grind it away till the stem goes through easily & the two bolt fully together. No biggie It took me under 2 minutes. I used a drill press but the longer full sized hole acts as a decent guide so you could easily do it with a hand drill.

Remove the original thermometer & the Bezel, you won't be using them.
Now clean up the edges of the hole in the kettle lid till the small threaded end fits through. & clamp it from inside with the nut!
Voila! Done.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:22:53 AM by Stoneage »

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
Re: Minor mod. replacing the horrible factory lid thermometer.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 11:06:46 AM »
Checked it out last night while cooking some burgers.
Let the kettle heat & stabilize then read the dial & compared it to 4 readings taken at 12, 3, 6,& 9 o'clock round the adapter. averaged out the 4 were within 5℉ of the dial.
I called it close enough for hand grenades & horseshoes at that point.