Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer mods, add-ons or wished it had  (Read 2183 times)

VetteDoc

• Smokey Joe
Performer mods, add-ons or wished it had
« on: January 21, 2021, 08:11:09 AM »
I'm thinking about building a cart for my 26er - currently I have grill stuff scattered all over my shed where I keep my grills and I would like to consolidate everything into one cart that would also hold my 26er. I'm thinking butcher block top, wire baskets for all of my tools a bag of charcoal or two etc. I'm definitely going to install a side burner sized to light my chimneys, and pegs/hooks to hold tools and cooking/charcoal grates while cleaning and prepping.

So when thinking about your cooks what things do you wish were at arms length?

Running through a typical cook in my head - I typically remove the cooking grate, then the basket/vortex/SNS etc. then the charcoal grate, sweep out the bowl and empty the ash catcher if it's getting full.

Put the charcoal grate back in, but my basket/SNS/Vortex back in with the used coals - add desired amount of new coals to my chimney and light it up. Once the coals are going I'll toss them on the old coals cover and let the grill come up to temp. Then add the cooking grate, give it a quick scrub and have at er.

During the cook I typically just need tongs, some foil, paper towels, a hand towel or two, a dish for sauce or oil, my thermalpen, maybe a light for those late night cooks/smokes.

Once I'm done, I usually give the grates a quick scrub and put the grill away.

Am I missing anything?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Performer mods, add-ons or wished it had
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 09:44:10 AM »
Cocktail holder !!  and all the things you mentioned
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

VetteDoc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 10:36:37 AM »
I'm from WI we are legally required to have a beer in hand at all times while grilling!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 05:51:26 AM »
@VetteDoc i would recommend a granite countertop instead of butcher block it weathers much better. Look local and you may find remnants from a company. That’s what I did.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Tbagley

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 03:01:28 PM »
This is what I did, but Shoestringshop is spot on.  In the near future a granite top is going to replace the black starboard material.  It's still a work in progress.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 06:08:13 AM »
This is what I did, but Shoestringshop is spot on.  In the near future a granite top is going to replace the black starboard material.  It's still a work in progress.

This is mine...

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 07:32:56 AM »
I added a 36” stainless steel speed rail to the back of one of my SSP’s and it’s a great place to stash miscellaneous items.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 05:40:36 AM »
I added a 36” stainless steel speed rail to the back of one of my SSP’s and it’s a great place to stash miscellaneous items.

I really like the speed rail I may incorporate that into the new one I’m building.

ThinBlu42

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 11:09:35 PM »
You guys are inspiring!

I am building a cart for my 26 and these are beautiful. I WILL be stealing ideas from these just so you know.

My cart will be made of wood since I have the materials and tools to do so.

This pretty much sums up my basic needs list
"During the cook I typically just need tongs, some foil, paper towels, a hand towel or two, a dish for sauce or oil, my thermalpen, maybe a light for those late night cooks/smokes."

Add the BEERS holder (beerS is always plural) and maybe parchment paper bin and I'm golden.

It's not GRILLING that makes you old.
It's NOT grilling that makes you old.

VetteDoc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 01:38:12 PM »
Thanks for the ideas guys - the cocktail holder idea did lead to me adding a bottle opener and catch can.

The granite top really looks good - I love the ice box in the center.
Also where did you pick up the Weber towels? I'd love to find a couple of those.

VetteDoc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 01:21:46 PM »
Now that my grill cart is finished I will agree that a metal or stone top may be a better route to go if you're thinking about building your own cart.

The first time I fired up my chimney starter some embers were floating around - which kind of made me panic a bit!!!

Fortunately for me I have a welding blanket that I use to help insulate my pellet smoker when cooking in cold temps.

So now before I fire up a chimney I toss the welding blanket on the top to protect it from the ash.

I still love the look of the butcher block top but I will need to protect it from the embers.

Tbagley

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 02:57:59 PM »
That's a similar issue that I have with my top, a small coal hit the top and I had to move quick to knock it off, lol.

andrewshrm

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 12:49:29 PM »
Yep - agree - never thought twice about firing up some lump in my 22" performer with the hammered sheet metal top, but my douglas fir wooden top on the 26 is showing some ember burn from flyers.  I don't really feel like sanding it down and refinishing it either.  Thinking about making a new top out of concrete possibly.

Tbagley

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2021, 12:39:26 PM »
VetteDoc pushed me into adding a side burner after I saw his awesome build.  Still need to replace the top, had a piece of free granite but sadly it cracked at the wrong moment and the wrong side when it was being cut.