Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Trout Smoke  (Read 1031 times)

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
First Trout Smoke
« on: July 17, 2020, 08:57:39 PM »
I’ve never liked trout, grilled at least. I finally had some smoked that a buddy did last summer and I was hooked. Very similar to smoked salmon, which is arguably my favorite food, both to cook & to eat.

So a couple days ago I loaded up some fishing gear onto my motorcycle and headed to the mountains. After getting skunked on the river, I found a pretty amazing lake where the fish couldn’t get enough of my cheapo spinner lures.

I cleaned and dry brined these guys in about a 6:1 brown sugar:salt mix for about 24 hours before throwing them on the kettle to smoke at around 200*. After about 30 min. I pulled the remaining fins, bones & skin, then back on to smoke for another 20-30 min. or so. The thinner fillets ended up near jerky, but that’s still a winner for me.

Removing trout bones is a huge PITA (please let me know if you have any tricks), but it might have just been worth it. This catch was pretty damn delicious. Probably headed back up a couple times next week with the kids and some buddies to pull a few more. [emoji476]

-Jed
-Jed

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
Re: First Trout Smoke
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 03:46:50 AM »
Nice catch and beautiful scenery in Colorado!
In Florida I smoke mullet, Spanish mackerel, blue fish and king fish.

Butterfly down the backbone (dorsal fin) and leave belly skin attached.
I leave the backbone in until after it’s cooked and then remove when fish has cooled.

I’ve used a Weber kettle, Big Chief electric smoker and a custom built cabinet smoker for smoking fish. The key is maintaining temp between 180-200.

Link below is for mullet but should apply to trout.

http://www.suncoastnews.com/sports/smoked-mullet-a-fall-and-winter-florida-cracker-treat/article_d8501bd0-efd0-11e7-bb95-d7f03c4103e1.html

Cheers and good luck fishing with your kids.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 04:06:46 AM »
Smoked mullet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 05:55:51 AM »
Thanks for sharing this cook and the story. Wow, just amazing all around. The bike, the mountains, the fish. Really cool. Good for your soul.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 06:06:29 AM »
Nice, and different. Love good trout/salmon. Seafood. Nice catch/cook. Love both.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 06:16:32 AM »
Very cool.  I think this wins for the most unique cook and adventure post of the month.  Scenery is amazing!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 07:07:03 AM »
Thanks guys. @AZ2FL I can’t wait to try that method. Hopefully next week! [emoji4]

-Jed
-Jed

willian m Pineda

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 07:38:56 PM »
Damn that looks freking good

Sent from my moto z3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app