Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle with Stacker Vs Smokey mountain  (Read 2056 times)

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
Kettle with Stacker Vs Smokey mountain
« on: July 08, 2020, 07:21:59 AM »
I've been getting more and more into smoking on my kettle since I got a SNS. So it had me wondering what the next step in toys would be.

I would love to hear experiences and opinions on the pros, cons, and differences between picking up a Smokey Mountain 22" vs a stacker like the Cajun bandit for a kettle. Seems to me at that point operation should be pretty similar but I have 0 experience with either so I'm probably wrong.

Thanks!
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Kettle with Stacker Vs Smokey mountain
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 07:52:24 AM »
Looking at the 22 Cajun bandit stacker, it’s a good value relative to dropping $400 on a new 22 wsm.  Good used 22 wsms are harder to find at reasonable costs in my area.   You keep the versatility of your 22 and get extra capacity with the stacker. 

The stacker and a good used 22 wsm are about the same price in my experience.  Both somewhere in the neighborhood of $250.

A wildcard idea is a 26 kettle.   It has great capacity for grilling and smoking.  Extremely versatile and portable.   That would be my recommendation. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 08:07:58 AM »
Stacker vote for me.

You can get a cheap black kettle so you have a place to store the stacker and won't have to move it around.

I only use sand or deflectors in the 18wsm anyway so the water pan is useless to me.

You still get 2 racks to cook on.

I bought a 22wsm used it a hand full of times, it was  huge to store, clean, make fire in and so on...
I bought a used redLE that came with a stacker after using it, I cleaned and sold the 22wsm and have since bought a 2nd stacker this year during one of their 10% off sales!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 08:45:57 AM »
Sold both my wsm and went with stackers.  Couldn't be any happier  with the decision.

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 08:54:17 AM »
Th C B Stacker!
It comes with a fire ring, a second grate, a diffusion disc,  & so on so you have everything in a one shot deal. Its also built like a tank! I've done a long snake (270°) & smoked on it for 6 1/2 hours easily.

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 12:32:24 PM »
I was leaning towards stacker before and the consensus is strong here.

I have two performers on the deck and the black ssp sees less cooks than the newer green one. The thought was to use a stacker on the black ssp and make that my dedicated smoker. Jut wondering if there was any difference in the actual cooks/ technique but sounds like you guys don’t think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Kettle with Stacker Vs Smokey mountain
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 01:39:09 PM »
I like to hang ribs in my 18 wsm. Not sure if that’s possible on a cb stacker.

My dream set up would be at least a couple of stackers on a 22.  that way hanging would still be possible. Basically Jules set up would be ideal for me.

I use the 26 for all briskets and pork butts.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 01:41:50 PM by HoosierKettle »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 01:59:44 PM »
I am a self proclaimed kettleholic....however, I also love to cook on my 22” WSM.  In fact I’ve not smoked on a kettle since I got it.  I recommend keeping your eye out for a used WSM and try it out.  If you don’t like it then you can sell it easily.  They go like hot cakes on CL here.  Got mine for $50 and did lots of mods on it, which was also a lot of fun.  I’ve never had a stacker, but they do look interesting and fun as well.  They seem more stable on a cart configuration imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

rc

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 03:59:31 PM »

I am a self proclaimed kettleholic....however, I also love to cook on my 22” WSM.  In fact I’ve not smoked on a kettle since I got it.  I recommend keeping your eye out for a used WSM and try it out.  If you don’t like it then you can sell it easily.  They go like hot cakes on CL here.  Got mine for $50 and did lots of mods on it, which was also a lot of fun.  I’ve never had a stacker, but they do look interesting and fun as well.  They seem more stable on a cart configuration imo.

+1 I too solely smoke on my wsm. It dials right in to that low n slow 225-250 and produces some great results.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 05:47:17 PM »
If you aren't in a hurry to buy one Cajun Bandit frequently does 10% off promo codes around holidays.  However, sometimes they may not be in stock around those times. 

I have a Cajun Bandit stacker and roti.  They actually stack if you want to get some extra height. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 09:43:13 AM »
^^^^^
This!
You might want to do a temporary cover for the "U" cuts in the roti ring. Just cut, folded coke can works fine & is easily removed.
IIRC he also makes a hanging rack accessory for them as well, it sits inside the top & the original cover goes over it.
Just use the reverse order, roti on the bottom stacker on top.

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 09:48:27 AM »
If you aren't in a hurry to buy one Cajun Bandit frequently does 10% off promo codes around holidays.  However, sometimes they may not be in stock around those times. 

I have a Cajun Bandit stacker and roti.  They actually stack if you want to get some extra height.

I'm in no hurry partially because I think every time I have looked at Cajun Bandit they have been sold out lol.

Sold both my wsm and went with stackers.  Couldn't be any happier  with the decision.
I've always loved the look of your stacker performers and so you are influencing my preference to convert my SSP into one.

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 05:10:26 PM »
The biggest problem with Cajun Bandit is he can't keep up with supply.
Keep looking, the moment you see a sale (he has lots) jump on it NOW!