Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What value would you place on this?  (Read 963 times)

hpainesr

• Happy Cooker
What value would you place on this?
« on: September 06, 2020, 11:42:10 PM »
1980 18" I have been refurbishing webers for about 3  years now, thanks to sites like this I get alot of great info. But am curious on what is a good price to sell this for? I replaced the wheels, ash pan, and grates. Took a little bit to clean it up. I did use Red Caliper paint (900 degree) on the weld of the side handle and just under the grill at the legs. Just looking for a value on this for posting it. I have refurbished at least 250 or maybe more Webers over the last 3 years, but I believe this may have been the oldest. Maybe one other gas one older then this. Any advice and words of wisdom would be great.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: What value would you place on this?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 04:47:04 AM »
Nice job.  I’d go $100-$125 tops.   It’s obviously very clean and the porcelain looks blemish free.  Red is the most common nonblack kettle.  The new grates are a nice add. 

The only knock on it is the ash pan which is not original.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hpainesr

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 12:08:56 PM »
Thank you, yes I was wondering about the ash pan, when I got the grill it had clips on it already so I am sure maybe someone added somewhere along the line. Thank you for your info. When it comes to learning about grills especially webers I have become a sponge to the information this site and others has. So much knowledge here.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 12:36:02 PM »
She’s a beaut.....I’d estimate $200 easy.  Seen them on eBay go quickly for that.  Bottom line is it’s worth what someone will pay.  Love those reds.....

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 12:45:57 PM »
Thank you, yes I was wondering about the ash pan, when I got the grill it had clips on it already so I am sure maybe someone added somewhere along the line.

Regarding the ash pan for your kettle, here is a quote from @Craig , the WKC Historian:

"Clips appeared in 1980 with the rolled edge twist pans. Originally intended to be placed  above the pan to prevent it from twisting upward (no pun intended) and flying off in high winds. By the time the pans were retooled to full disc (late 1986) their purpose changed to what they are intended for today." 

Your 1980 B Code kettle would have had a rolled edge twist on pan (pictured below) along with the clips on the legs.

Nice job on the restoration BTW and welcome to the Forum.  My experience has been that finding a rolled edge twist on pan will be more challenging than locating a straight edge twist on pan.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 12:49:50 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"