Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer table top refinish  (Read 4661 times)

KP

• Smokey Joe
Performer table top refinish
« on: July 03, 2020, 02:21:50 PM »
I am really liking this dark bronze finish. Hand sanded with 220 grit (super dusty) and then painted with Rustoleum Hammered all surface paint. Not the greatest paint job but the color and finish came out exactly what I wanted. I forgot to take a before picture but it was in pretty bad shape. Hope the paint is durable.

rc

• WKC Brave
Re: Performer table top refinish
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 04:34:32 PM »
Looks good, nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 06:40:06 PM »
I have used it on a couple table and have been very happy with it. One got a good gouge in it from a dropped grate but I smoothed it with resin and sanded and repainted and the hammered paint covers great on patch jobs.

Yours looks grate!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 07:02:36 AM »
I like it too!!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 07:04:06 AM »
Oh damn! That looks nice !

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 10:25:05 PM »
Nice! I think I may have to try that!

Tbagley

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 01:25:32 PM »
Should clean up better than the original finish as well!

AmirMortal

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 06:01:40 PM »
Nice! I just got a used one that's in need of some love. Might give this a try. Did you do a full strip first?

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 04:56:38 AM »
That looks nice, good job with a rattle can.

briano52

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 02:31:09 PM »
Thank you to KP for the idea about the Rustoleum Hammered Paint. I just did an old resin table that had a large burn mark in it. It came out great. I did learn that you get the best hammered effect by spaying a fairly heavy coat. I put on two light coats and waited two days for it to fully dry. I could still see some uneven streaks in the finish. I then put on a heavy third coat. That did the trick. The final finish is a trued hammered look with a very nice charcoal black color. Goes great with the black kettle on a Performer. No streaking after third coat. I ended up using most of two cans to get the desired look. Looks like a professional job now. No need to buy a new metal top. Did the hubcaps on the wheels too.

For surface prep I just scrubbed the table with a kitchen cleanser, wiped down with a solvent and then did a very light sanding with a 600 grit sandpaper. I would have used 400 but I was out of it. Sanding was to aid in paint adhesion. Final step was to wipe with damp rag to pick up any dust from sanding. Prep took about 45 minutes or less. It was a hot day here, so all the fluids dried very quickly in the hot sun. I seemed to get very good adhesion with the paint. It will be interesting to see how well the paint holds up with use. I am expecting it will do well as it seems to be hard enamel.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 10:07:25 PM by briano52 »
Brian's Cookers: PK360, Weber Performer, Weber q 1000, Weber q 1200, Kat Vault smoker, MAK pellet grill, Twin Eagle gasser and 5 Minuti wood pizza oven. Thermowerks temp probes and Thermowerks controller and fan

briano52

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 10:44:47 PM »
Update: I sprayed several coats of clear Rusteolum lacquer. I was hoping to harden the surface and prevent scratches during use. I am letting it harden for a week or two before using. I will check back in with a report.
Brian's Cookers: PK360, Weber Performer, Weber q 1000, Weber q 1200, Kat Vault smoker, MAK pellet grill, Twin Eagle gasser and 5 Minuti wood pizza oven. Thermowerks temp probes and Thermowerks controller and fan