Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Old Guy with OLD New Kettle  (Read 6579 times)

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New Old Guy with OLD New Kettle
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2020, 03:33:11 PM »
I  vote that it is your grill do as what pleases you, the others will get in line LOL

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

zumbini

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2020, 04:33:37 PM »
I  vote that it is your grill do as what pleases you, the others will get in line LOL

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

True but not particularly helpful. Ironically I used that line on another member recently. Karma is a bitch!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2020, 05:13:42 PM »
This is a fun restore to follow.  Great job and thanks for sharing!

Pezdogs

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2020, 06:11:04 PM »
I would leave as is without a coating on it.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
New Old Guy with OLD New Kettle
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2020, 06:32:48 PM »
I vote:
Leave it...no coating as well. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

zumbini

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2020, 08:35:14 AM »
I haven't had much time for the Fleetwood project recently but I did make a decision about the finish. Assuming I can reverse the darkening effect of the oil on the lid I plan to go "au naturel". Thanks to all the members who responded to my request.

Meanwhile, the metal bowl handles are "in the mail" along with 3 bowl vents (hopefully in better condition than the originals). They should arrive later today.

I didn't slack off completely though. I found time to dress the wheels.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2020, 09:37:10 AM »
coming along nicely, I like it
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2020, 11:20:26 AM »
Looking good.
Those wheels look great [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

zumbini

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2020, 02:33:36 PM »
The metal bowl handles and bowl vent covers arrived. Many thanks to @Red_5_Wrangler !

I dived right in on the vent covers. Spray with DuraGloss 551 (marine grade aluminum cleaner), wait 2 minutes and watch the scrubbing bubbles work their magic :D, flush with water, repeat 2 times; spray with DuraGloss 551, scrub with brass brush, flush with water, scrape a few areas still peppered with baked on grease stains, steel wool for 5 minutes on each side, and they are looking pretty good.

I'll do a few more passes with steel wool tomorrow. Then I'll start prepping the metal bowl handles.

zumbini

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2020, 10:56:51 PM »
Today I worked on the metal bowl handles. First I did a rough square cut to remove them from the old bowl material.

Then I rounded them off.

At this point I noticed some cracks near the pads on one side of each of the handles. I hadn't seen them during my original inspection so I may have have caused them myself.

I knew those cracks would fail eventually so I decided to try something. I drilled holes through the seams near the cracks.

I mixed up some 2-part high temp epoxy and used a narrow stick to pack it into the holes until I could see epoxy at the cracks. Then I held the base of an oscillating multi-tool against each handle hoping the vibration would insure that there were no voids in the epoxy. After the epoxy had set up I mixed up another batch and coated over the cracks and around the pads. After giving it a few hours to set up I drilled holes in the pads and test fit the handles to the bowl to make sure they fit.

Once they fully cure (48 hours) I'll sand the epoxy smooth then install the handles using either 1/4-20 stainless steel nuts, bolts & washers or 1/4" brass pop rivets. I'll let you know how it turns out....