Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Old Guy with OLD New Kettle  (Read 6582 times)

zumbini

• Smokey Joe
New Old Guy with OLD New Kettle
« on: July 03, 2020, 12:12:06 PM »
Howdy folks! I've been around Weber charcoal grills since the early 60's but have never seen one like this early 70's light grey 26+" kettle that was recently given to me by a relative. It needs some parts (and a lot of TLC) but I can't find anything like it on the Weber website and they have yet to respond to my request for info. Perhaps one of you can ID it for me so I can get the parts I need to put it back to work.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Dominick

Here are some photos:

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
New Old Guy with OLD New Kettle
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 12:46:01 PM »
Hello and welcome.  You’ve been gifted a lovely Fleetwood.  Unlikely Weber will have the parts you need due to age.  Fortunately you’ve come to the right place.  More pics please, let’s see what you need.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 12:49:18 PM by Mr.CPHo »

zumbini

• Smokey Joe
Re: New Old Guy with OLD New Kettle
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 01:05:04 PM »
Almost forgot the intro...

I'm a post WW2 baby who was born in Philadelphia and raised/schooled in the near west Chicago suburbs.

After 2 years at IIT I did a 4 year hitch in the army, the last 3+ years with Test Construction Division, Field Command, Defense Nuclear Agency (my duty station was Camp Mercury on the AEC's Nevada Test Site).

In the early 60's I learned to grill on my Dad's black 22" Weber kettle. (My youngest brother inherited it after Dad passed away in 2001.)

In the early 80's I bought a black 22" Weber kettle of my own which I still have and use regularly.

For the last 20 years I've lived in Chester, VA (just south of Richmond) but am currently staying at my familial home in Chicago in the process of settling my Mom's estate.

zumbini

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 01:33:51 PM »
Hello and welcome.  You’ve been gifted a lovely Fleetwood.  Unlikely Weber will have the parts you need due to age.  Fortunately you’ve come to the right place.  More pics please, let’s see what you need.

Thanks for your quick response. Fleetwood eh? Was I right about it being from the early 70's?

Bottom line is that I need a bottom (charcoal) grill (the original was so rusty that it fell apart when I tried to clean it). Measuring across the support tabs I get 19" circumference.

I also need a new top grate as the original is almost rusted out (24 3/4" circumference).

Eventually I'd like to replace the missing kettle handle and make new wood grips for the top handle.

And I'm still working to free up the 3 bottom vents (I can see clear space all around now but the rivets must be rusted to the kettle).

I'll post a few more pics shortly.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 01:39:07 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.  As indicated above by Mr. CPHo, what you have is a vintage 26" Weber.  Yours is quite a Weathered Warrior (a term given to kettles with a patina from years of being exposed to the elements). Your kettle was originally black and was given the name "The Fleetwood" by Weber for marketing purposes.   With it having plastic wheels with rubber treads will probably date it as being around 1970-1972.  It is depicted on page 5 of this 1970 Weber catalog:

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-catalogs/1971-Charcoal-Brochure.pdf

I don't see a charcoal grate in any of your photos.  The current model 26" charcoal and cooking grates will not fit your kettle.  Vintage 26" kettles use a different size cooking and charcoal grate. Here are the part numbers for vintage 26" kettles that will fit yours: 

cooking grate - #66910   (24.5”)

charcoal grate #66911

Weber does still carry both of these items (last I checked).  If you attempt to order them, your biggest obstacle will be getting through to Weber Customer Service.  They are still ramping up during the current  Covid-19 crisis restrictions. 

You can post a "looking for bowl vents" add in the Trading Post section of the Forum.  That or find a inexpensive vintage kettle for sale on CL to use as a parts donor.  The 26" kettles use the same size bowl vents and metal handles as a 22" kettle.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 01:46:55 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

zumbini

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 02:13:01 PM »
Thanks for the info Cellar2ful (great name BTW!). I'll post a few more photos shortly. A couple more questions if you don't mind.

The catalog you posted the link to has 2 page 8's and no page 5.

I searched for "The Fleetwood" on the Weber website and got nothing, nada, zero, zilch.

I tried to search for parts but that function requires a model/serial number (1 or 2 capital letters plus 0 to 6 numbers). The only ID stamped on my upper vent is "Pat Pending".

I searched on the part numbers you supplied and was taken to the page that explains where to find the model/serial number.

Reminds me of my Dad's favorite saying - "useless as t1ts on a bulls a$$".

Are we having fun yet?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 02:27:44 PM »

The link works for me, but I work off a desktop PC.  If you go to the WKC Home Page, on the right side is a drop down menu with different links.  Under the Weber Grill History section, the second link is for Old Weber Catalogs. 

You won't find any information via Weber's website on vintage kettles or parts for them.  The part numbers I provided were provided by other grillfellas that were lucky enough to speak with a knowledgeable CS rep. I keep a spread sheet with part numbers for a lot of vintage parts.  Only way your going to be able to order the parts is by calling Weber Customer Service (800-446-1071).  Start early, be patient and have another project to work on while on hold.  The last two times I've recently called I was on hold for 1 1/2 hours waiting for a "live" person to come on the line.

The Cellar2ful name comes from another one of my passions.  Wine collecting.

zumbini

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 04:02:48 PM »
I tried your link again and this time page 5 appeared. THANKS! Must be my connection....

p.s. Another thing I'll need is an ash collector. Does one size fit all or do I need one specific for the Fleetwood?

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 04:21:19 PM »
@Jeff or @bertl, will there be another run of reproduction ash pans in the future?🤞If I remember they sold out rather quickly. 

zumbini

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 10:45:48 AM »
Here are a few more photos for you. Looks like restoration is gonna be a major project....

interior

missing handle

top grate

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 12:33:38 PM »
Welcome from just south of Chicago! I love the character of this grill, and I think the Fleetwood is my holy grail. Looking forward to the progress of your restore. Good luck and have fun.
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 07:11:14 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga I am positive that Fleetwood will be cooking soon
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

zumbini

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 07:32:51 AM »
Any tips on how to free up the bottom vents? I used a thin paint scraper to remove the dirt and rust between the vent and kettle. I can now see clear to the rivet but they still won't turn.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 10:59:19 AM »
I use a product called PB Blaster. The only thing is with a kettle like yours that the porcelain is so faded, it becomes somewhat porous to oils. Using lubricating sprays can leave stains on the porcelain.  You can either tape off the porcelain all around the vent or don’t spray the PB Blaster on the vent. Instead, spay it into a small bottle or container and apply it with a Q tip. Apply to both the outside and inside of the rivet.  Let it sit for at least a day, giving it a couple of applications.  After a day of sitting, lightly tap the vent tab with a small hammer or screwdriver handle. Alternate the direction of the tapping. This method has worked for me and I have yet to find a vent that has not responded to this method.

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 11:17:03 AM »

This is my Fleetwood. Charcoal Grate hard to come by. I cut expanded metal to make one. Works Good! Old Guy here too!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 11:18:59 AM by SteveZ »
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,