Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: HELP No Webers close to me, 22” Performer, or 26”?  (Read 373 times)

SunilPunjabi

• Happy Cooker
HELP No Webers close to me, 22” Performer, or 26”?
« on: July 02, 2020, 04:54:27 PM »
I’ve been grilling for years now, nothing special; Burgers, steaks, chicken and etc on a generic propane grill. I recently got into smoking, meats that is, on a Traeger.  This his created an addiction now.  After replacing by 4 th propane grill in 10 years.  I was looking to replace my propane rust bucket with a Weber, and I came across the Weber Kettle.  I believe I can dump the rust bucket use the kettle for all my grilling. 

The Weber kettles seem to be in short supply/high demand.  I can’t even find a local shop that carries a 22”, much less a Performer Deluxe.  A 26” kettle?  Forget about it, a search nation wide NOTHING, short of one shop that wanted $150 for shipping. 

I can order a 22” or Performer sight unseen, but I’m not sure if that is the right size for me.  A 26” kettle will take 6-8 weeks to get here, with reasonable shipping charges.  Without something to look at it’s hard to say what size or model will fit my family.  I could really use some help.

About me...
I have a family of 5 including me. When I cook I’m cooking for 5.  We are soon to become 4, then 2 over the next 2 years, as we become “empty nesters.  Outside of COVID we entertain often for groups of 6-8 people.

I would like to use the Kettle for grilling, searing and experiment with smoking, instead of my pellet smoker.  If I’m able to figure out charcoal smoking.  I’ll get rig of the traeger.

I plan to get a smoke and sear as well. I know it will take up 1/3 of my cooking real estate.  My dilemma is this.  Will a 22” kettle fit my needs, grilling, searing and smoking, or should I hold out for 26”, 8 weeks?  If I go with the 22” is the performer worth the extra money for gas assist?  I don’t need the table, I have one and can build an add on if needed.

Considering all the number pad people I’ll cook for and what I wan to do, can anyone help me with some guidance?

Thanks in advance,

Sunil Punjabi
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:41:15 PM by SunilPunjabi »

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
Re: HELP No Webers close to me, 22” Performer, or 26”?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 05:28:50 PM »
I've never used a 26. They sound huge, with the surface area about 25% larger than a 22.

People have been cooking tons of food on 22's for a very, very long time. I cooked on one as my family grew. Most people us a 22. Worse comes to worse and you need more space, it's a good excuse to supplement with an 18 or even a Jumbo or Smokey Joe. I smoked a brisket and served 1o people on one last weekend. In your situation, I'd go for the 22 and not look back.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:30:29 PM by Ashley Coalburn »

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: HELP No Webers close to me, 22” Performer, or 26”?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 06:14:32 PM »
If you like the idea of accessories like the SnS, rotisserie, and etc. you will find more available with the standard 22 inch performer.  The side table is especially nice. 

However, a 26er has a fair amount of more space that allows for easier zone cooking and offset cooking.  When I would cook for a group of people on a 22 I always had the grill packed and was trying to find space.  With the bigger size you won't have as many issues.

My official recommendation though would be to searching Facebook marketplace for a relatively clean Performer in the $100 to $200 range.  If you can get a used 26er in good shape for $150 or less it is easily worth the pick up as well.  Experiment with the Performer and if you feel like you need to go bigger you can always pick up a 26er later when it is in less demand or you find a good deal on one. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.