Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Few questions about a Pat Pending Statesman  (Read 357 times)

65Westy

• WKC Brave
Few questions about a Pat Pending Statesman
« on: July 02, 2020, 09:38:34 AM »
Hello all.

i have a 69-70 Statesman and the triangle is in bad shape. Are the new replacements that are available the same as the original?
and is there a source for the original style metal hubcaps? I think i've seen them at a hardware store before but i'm not sure what they are called. 

It seems that the twist on ash pans that were redone are NLA so i guess ill use a replacement one with the spring clips.

Thanks for any help.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Few questions about a Pat Pending Statesman
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 09:57:46 AM »
New triangles are powdercoated silver nowadays.

Metal hubcaps can be found at hardware stores, Lowes, and Menards (not sure about HD).  Design hasn’t changed in 60+ years. 

I may still have some restorable pieces in my parts stash. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 10:31:09 AM »
Depending on the severity of the rust on the triangle, you may be able to restore it.  I've had success on quite a few using a cordless drill and various sized wire brush wheels.  Some of mine looked really rough and now look like they've got new plating just from light scrubbing with the wire brush wheels.  Oddly, one that came from California turned a dark color when trying this, but it was a 1984 model.  All my older ones cleaned up pretty nicely.  And like Brew said, the new ones are powdercoated - they look gray to me.  I bought one, installed it on one of my brownies and it looks pretty good but not as good as the plated ones IMO.  Check out the restore section on the main page here.  Lots of good info there on wheels, legs and bowl restoration.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 11:57:15 AM »
Soak the parts you want to save in Evapo-rust. It will remove the rust and leave the chrome behind. You can give it a polish with 4/0 steel wool and then clear coat to slow the rust from reappearing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere