Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber vs others  (Read 12720 times)

William_I

• Happy Cooker
Weber vs others
« on: July 02, 2020, 03:04:37 AM »
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a good grill to buy. My friend suggested to buy a Weber grill, and I saw it's pretty expansive. is it really worth buying it?

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Weber vs others
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 04:03:37 AM »
The quick answer for me is YES, it is worth it.  Weber has a large gas grill product line ranging from portable grills to high end grills costing big bucks.  There's also a significant used market if you want to save some $ and don't mind doing some clean up.  Chances are they have a model that will suit your needs.  It really depends on how many people you are cooking for and how often you want to cook. 

In my experience, Weber gas grills offer value because they perform very well, and they are very reliable/robust.  Less expensive grills may be tempting but the likelihood you will replace it in 5 years or less is high.

Case in point, I have a Weber Genesis I purchased brand new in 2003, and I have still have it and use it regularly.  I maintain it and keep it covered.  It was worth every penny. 

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 05:25:45 AM »
You’re asking the Weber Kettle Club if buying a Weber grill is worth it.... we may be a little biased around here.

Include your location in your profile and a local member may be able to help you out with a good deal.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 05:39:33 AM »
I think absolutely!
I’ve got an old genesis that works like a champ and my buddy has one of the newer ones and it cooks even better.
The ease of use, control, quality parts, and just basic functionality make the overall experience a lot better. You can just tell you’re interacting with quality when you use it.
Compare that to the hot spots, not even temps across the grates, cheap materials of those cheaper gassers.
Add to that the ten year warranty and you’ve got a grill that will work better and last a whole lot longer. You’d probably have to buy like two of those cheaper gassers before your warranty ran out.
Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 05:48:59 AM »
Yes.  My Genesis II is a tank (I believe) and everything fits properly.  Although it has some downsides, every gas grill does, especially for Genesis competition.  I'd love to have a Summit. 

Every time I inquire about Broil King or Napoleon, they just seem to have more reliability issues than Webers.  I have friends with other brands (Broil King, Vermont Casting, Etc) who bought based on BTU and they have all had issues.  Personally, I don't want any issues.

Weber customer service and warranty fulfillment has been outstanding so far, and that is part of the price.
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a good grill to buy. My friend suggested to buy a Weber grill, and I saw it's pretty expansive. is it really worth buying it?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 07:37:02 AM »
Although I've never owned a Weber gas grill, I can give some perspective from NOT buying a Weber gas grill.  I was given on Father's day a Char Broil gas grill I guess about 10 years ago, so it has some sentimental value - especially now that the kids are grown and out of the nest.  While it hasn't been the best or the worst, over the years I have given Char Broil quite a bit of money just to keep it going.  I have replaced most every part that's not stainless steel except for the firebox and it's about to rust through.  Without a doubt, I've spent more on that grill than it cost in the first place - probably two times the initial cost.  So, from that perspective, if I were to buy one again, I'd go with a Weber.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 04:07:55 PM »
I’m not a gas griller but I have cooked on some nice Weber gas grills and some okay non-Weber grills.

If I were to buy a gas grill it would be the Weber Genesis line. I just cooked 20 chicken thighs on a Char-broil while on vacation and it was difficult managing the hot spots.

Last year the place we vacationed to had Genesis natural gas grills all around the pool resort area. I cooked on it several nights and was pretty surprised at how they held up considering the abuse they are getting at a beach resort.

I read a post on another forum I’m on where a guy said it’s not worth it to buy one of those expensive gas grills. He literally said he buys a cheap $150 grill every couple years and considers it just the cost of grilling out and having a reliable grill. I don’t think mathematics is his strong suit.

FWIW, only buy new if you really think you’ll use the warranty. A nice used Weber will clean up nicely and will save you some money even if you need some parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 05:18:28 PM »
I would look into replacement parts and where you can find them.  Around me any hardware store sells Weber branded parts and only universal parts for others. 

When shopping look outside of how heavy the lid feels.  This is a marketing trick as the grill manufacturers know that’s what you ‘feel’ when initially shopping.  Check out other areas: grates, frame thickness, casters,...

Most stores will say they can’t discount.  It’s technically a lie.  There is a minimum advertised price policy.  They can sell lower.  They can lonely advertise things like free assembly, propane, delivery, and/or sales tax.

Expensive yes.  But buy once cry once.  Check Target clearance right now for a Spirit model.  Craigslist or Facebook marketplace is a good place to find used.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 07:41:12 PM »
Either way you go, gas weber or just a standard black 22. You won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

William_I

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 10:46:01 AM »
OK I've got the point, thanks for your help!  ;D

By the way, I searched on Google for the best grills, and they all have Weber grills in the first place...... ( Best Gas Grills, Best gas grills under 500, Best grills... No doubt that Weber is VERY popular.