Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 4th of July Pulled Pork Prep  (Read 1860 times)

Skinsfan1311

• Smokey Joe
4th of July Pulled Pork Prep
« on: July 01, 2020, 11:58:40 AM »
We're headed down to see the folks for the July 4th weekend.  Since it's a 5 hour drive, and the party is Saturday,  I cooked a couple of butts, in advance.

They had butts on sale at Harris Teeter for $0.99lb, so I got a 9lb butt and the butcher cut it in half.

They only took 8 1/2 hrs at an average temp of 240 in the 22" kettle with the the SnS.   I checked them when the larger one hit 198 degrees, and the probe went in like buttah!    Wrapped them in foil for a couple of hours, pulled, vacuum sealed and froze 'em.   They're ready to travel and reheat for the 4th.     I'm not crazy about re-heating pulled pork, but when reheated in vacuum bags, in simmering water,  it tastes really damn good.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 4th of July Pulled Pork Prep
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 12:04:16 PM »
Looks really good!  Planning on a low n slow Friday night into Saturday as well.  Is there any particular reason you had them cut in half?  I assume to shorten cook time?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 12:14:17 PM »
I find pulled pork very forgiving on a reheat, your cook looks grate
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 12:29:08 PM »
Good looking hunks of pork! Vacuum bags and simmering water is my method too. You may also be pretty surprised at a covered casserole dish in the microwave.

Is there any particular reason you had them cut in half?  I assume to shorten cook time?

I do it to help shorten the cook, but it also increases the the surface for bark by about 20%.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 12:32:15 PM »
Bout to be doing the same thing ( pulled pork that is) defrosting it now for my sons birthday Friday. I find when re heating that tossing it in either the oven or just in a hot cast iron pan give it a nice bit of crunch and works great with tacos , nachos and pulled pork sandwiches

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 12:39:12 PM »
Good looking hunks of pork! Vacuum bags and simmering water is my method too. You may also be pretty surprised at a covered casserole dish in the microwave.

Is there any particular reason you had them cut in half?  I assume to shorten cook time?

I do it to help shorten the cook, but it also increases the the surface for bark by about 20%.

Ooh, more bark, I like that idea as long as there's still plenty of juiciness.....  I think that's a word lol....

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
4th of July Pulled Pork Prep
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 01:32:50 PM »
Bout to be doing the same thing ( pulled pork that is) defrosting it now for my sons birthday Friday. I find when re heating that tossing it in either the oven or just in a hot cast iron pan give it a nice bit of crunch and works great with tacos , nachos and pulled pork sandwiches

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Another way (which I did last night actually) is to take it out of the freezer vac bag and let it thaw. When it’s thawed...chop and add to a pan on the stove with a little bit of water (not oil). 1” chunks in a small bit of water will bring them back to life. Once heated serve anyway you like...tacos, sandwiches, nachos, etc.

When making a butt, I vac seal it in chunks...not shredded (pull the connective fat off when it’s still warm before freezing...it’s much easier to do warm than after it’s been in the fridge).

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Skinsfan1311

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 03:33:09 PM »
Looks really good!  Planning on a low n slow Friday night into Saturday as well.  Is there any particular reason you had them cut in half?  I assume to shorten cook time?

Thanks!

Cutting them in half shortens cook time and yields a lot more bark.

Skinsfan1311

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 03:34:25 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words and the helpful tips!

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 06:11:57 AM »
Those look lovely

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club