Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Temperature control question  (Read 2136 times)

KettleSmoke

• Smokey Joe
Temperature control question
« on: July 05, 2020, 01:42:08 PM »
So I got an SNS and am using it for smoking on my 22
Here's my question-
Does anyone else have terrible controlling the temperature?  It has been incredibly hard both times I've used it.
If the bottom vent is even sightly open it runs to 400
If I close it the cook stalls.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Temperature control question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 01:53:22 PM »
Two questions.  How are you measuring your temperature and how many lit coals are you starting with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 04:01:24 PM »
Two questions.  How are you measuring your temperature and how many lit coals are you starting with?

Yup super important questions. I assume you are asking for slow/ low cooking. I find a full weber chimney on top of the 12 starter coals is too hot for me. So i generally measure a full chimney then pull my 12 starter coals from there. Once my 12 coals are well lit I add the rest of the chimney and then bring the vents down real low. If you over shoot you will have a hard time recovering.

Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 04:22:11 PM »
Also wondering what kind of thermometer.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 04:29:31 PM »
Not to derail the thread but you should consider the snake method for low and slow.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

KettleSmoke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 06:25:31 PM »
I start with 10 lit coals. The first time I added in a full chimney plus 3 apple wood chunks. That was too much. Today I started with 10 lit coals and added in 2/3 full chimney plus 3 apple wood chunks. Still too much

I use two thermometers- the one in the lid measuring the temp ~ 8" over the grates- which I checked in a pot of boiling water per cook and was accurate.
Second I use a igrill probe at grate level a few inches from the meat and 6" minimum from the fire.

KettleSmoke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 06:27:58 PM »

Not to derail the thread but you should consider the snake method for low and slow.

That's how I normally smoked. I switched to try it out and thought it would be a bit easier- Not having to set up each coal in the snake etc.
May go back to it though.

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 06:33:28 PM »
I start with 10 lit coals. The first time I added in a full chimney plus 3 apple wood chunks. That was too much. Today I started with 10 lit coals and added in 2/3 full chimney plus 3 apple wood chunks. Still too much

I use two thermometers- the one in the lid measuring the temp ~ 8" over the grates- which I checked in a pot of boiling water per cook and was accurate.
Second I use a igrill probe at grate level a few inches from the meat and 6" minimum from the fire.

The iGrill is fine, but beware of the lid thermometer. It may be accurate but they are slow to react and you can overshoot before you know it. Not only that but it's going to be a lot hotter up by the lid. One trick I've used to double check is to stich an instant read like a Thermopop in the vent holes, you can get it low enough to get a decent reading just over the meat. The last time I thought I was running hot, I wasn't. Just something to try.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 09:20:50 PM »
The first two times I tried smoking on my 22" kettle using my Slow N Sear, I did have problems controlling my temperature.  It was a constant battle of see sawing, up and down temperature swings and I found it virtually impossible to keep the temps below 250.  Doing a little research on ABC Barbecue's web site, I found this little tip:

Tip: The Slow ‘N Sear is so efficient at burning fuel that any unintentional air leaks (e.g. an improperly sealed lid) can prevent the kettle’s indirect zone from getting below 250° F. An easy solution: use 2” binder clips to seal the lid. Space three clips around the kettle lid for an improved seal.

Ever since I incorporated the use of binder clips, I have no problems maintaining temps. My guess is you are having the same problem. The amount of unlit charcoal you use determines the length of the cook, not the temperatures during the cook. That is controlled by the vents.  If your kettle lid is not sealing tight enough and is allowing to much air in, it will be difficult for you to control your temps.

Here is a link to the article from ABC Barbecue:

https://snsgrills.com/pages/slow-n-sear-lighting-instructions

Here is a great Youtube video from ABC Barbecue on using your SNS on a Weber kettle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDWRW3QAdzc

Following the instructions on the video, I now find using the SNS on a 22" kettle as easy as using my WSM. Temps easily dial in and stay between 225-250. As per the video,  I lite 12 Kingsford blue briquettes and dump them in the corner of the SNS.  Then I dump a full chimney of unlit briquettes, filling the rest of the SNS.  Use binder clips and follow the suggested lid and bowl vent settings in the video and you should have no problems.  I cooked a rack of baby backs this past Saturday and it ran for 5 hours between 230- 245 with very little adjustment.  I had enough charcoal left to probably go another two hours.  I use a Thermoworks Smoke to monitor my grate temperature.

@KettleSmoke , let us know how it works out on your next attempt.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 06:44:16 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 06:45:58 AM »
Are you by chance using the SS drip pan or at least foil on the meat side to direct airflow through the SNS?  That might help.  Also, I've started the cook with as little as two briquettes lit on just one side of the SNS, letting the temps come up very slowly.  Also as said above, if not sealed well it can be hard to maintain constant temp.  I've also tried the TipTopTemp which seems to work well IME.  Keep at it, you'll get your process down for what works for your kettle.

bigred

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 07:36:46 AM »
What Cellar2ful posted-  plus start 1 to 1 1/2 hour before you add meat . 15 minutes to get coals ready , add coals- 45-50 minutes to dial in temp.

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 12:45:20 PM »
What Cellar2ful posted-  plus start 1 to 1 1/2 hour before you add meat . 15 minutes to get coals ready , add coals- 45-50 minutes to dial in temp.

That's going be cook-dependent though. A couple slabs of BBRs or a loin, ok. But stick a big ol' brisket or butt on there and the meat is going to drop the temp like a rock anyway. I wait until it hits the temperature I need, put the meat on, and then adjust it in an hour or so. There's really a lot more room for the temp to wander then many think. The brisket I cooked a few weeks ago went from lighting at 6 to lid-on at 6:20.