Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hunsaker Griddle Review  (Read 3087 times)

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
Hunsaker Griddle Review
« on: June 28, 2020, 09:07:32 PM »
Just got one that I was lucky enough to win.
It’s a 26” size and got it yesterday. The thing is solid and pretty heavy. I’m writing this quick review because I honestly think this is a really great accessory and I really appreciate Hunsaker offering this up in a contest.
So I seasoned it up this morning and cooked some bacon and an egg to start out with. No stick.
Tonight used 3/4 of a chimney and put the coals across the middle to have a cooler area on the sides to make smash burgers.
This thing is alot of fun to cook on and had the onions, mushrooms, meat and buns all going at the same time. 

It is recommended you put a small tin tray under the opening so you can direct the grease that way so you don’t make a mess of the bowl or get a grease fire.

To clean you just pour some water on the griddle and use a scraper ( I had a pastry scraper) and it cleans up really quick. Then add a little more oil and your done.

Everything came out great. If you ever wanted a Blackstone but won’t buy one this is a perfect Kettle alternative it’s only $39 for the 22” size and $49 for the 26” size and that’s with shipping.  The price is right. 

I really really like this.

Here’s a review by fellow WKC member @inkaddictedchef1 Grill Therapy https://youtu.be/DyqIbAOGxEc

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:11:17 PM by foshizzle »

Mainline

• Smokey Joe
Re: Hunsaker Griddle Review
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 01:00:37 PM »
I've got one for my 22" and love it. Such an affordable price point. We've done breakfast on it a few times and smash burgers twice. So much fun and tasty food.

One thing I'd recommend is putting some foil trays below the handles so you can direct the grease to the trays. I made the mistake of not doing this one time and when the grease dried up in my bowl and over my one touch blades it was pretty messy. Enough of that I could see it becoming a nasty mess in no time.

I kind of wish I had bought the 26" version for my bigger kettle, but I could always buy a 2nd one.

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/products/griddle-plate-for-22-kettle-grill

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 03:39:59 PM »
What about the flavour?  Is the charcoal flavour lacking?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mainline

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 11:34:37 AM »
I'm not sure I notice the lake of charcoal flavor because I'm cooking things on this griddle that I normally would not be cooking outside on the grill.

Bacon tastes great. Eggs and hash browns great as well and again, never used to use the grill to cook this type of food.

Smash burgers are new to me, before buying the Hunsaker I always used to grill a normal thick burger.

The food tastes better than if I had cooked it inside on the stove, but maybe that's just a mental thing because it's just more fun to grill outside and not worry about making a mess.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 11:37:55 AM »
Cool!  How did you manage the grease with the foil but not block heat?  How'd you set-up the charcoal?  Genuinely curious.   I think I want one, but any tips are helpful.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »
My wife got me the Hunsaker griddle for the 26" weber! And I'm in love. 3/16" carbon steel, seasoned with grapeseed oil then bacon.

free uploading site

Got it seasoned pretty good I think.

photo and images hosting free

She ordered it Thursday and it showed up Friday. Cooked breakfast and dinner on it all weekend.

Bacon cheese burgers to start off

French toast

Peppers and onions for some sandwiches I didnt get a picture of

Pancakes eggs and hand grated hash browns

I'm really enjoying this thing, might try my hand at some hibachi or something tonight. Chicken fried rice maybe?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 02:09:20 PM »
Hash browns look amazing.  Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 04:52:44 PM »
What are you doing about grease?  How does it clean?

Looks really good!

My wife got me the Hunsaker griddle for the 26" weber! And I'm in love. 3/16" carbon steel, seasoned with grapeseed oil then bacon.

free uploading site

She ordered it Thursday and it showed up Friday. Cooked breakfast and dinner on it all weekend.

French toast

I'm really enjoying this thing, might try my hand at some hibachi or something tonight. Chicken fried rice maybe?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

tomtappel

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 08:07:12 PM »

free uploading site

French toast

Hibachi lol. I’m inspired. I think I need one of these. All those cooks look tremendous

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 05:12:58 AM »
Very nice. Hopefully they make one for the Summit Charcoal.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 10:49:52 AM »
Very nice. Hopefully they make one for the Summit Charcoal.

@dwnthehatch

I knew I saw one. Couldn't find it at first. Here ya go 45 bucks I think

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/collections/kettle-upgrades-mods/products/24-griddle-plate-for-summit-bge-xl
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:55:08 AM by Walchit »

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 11:54:00 AM »
Here is where you will find the 18

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/collections/weber-modifications/products/wsm-griddle-plate

Here is the 14, different design and the smaller ones are in the wsm section so I am not sure if there is a reason they dont have options for the 14 and 18 kettles...

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/collections/weber-modifications/products/griddle-plate-for-14-5-wsm

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 12:44:35 PM »

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 06:20:21 AM »
No problem, if you have a summit I see no reason you shouldn't have one of these. I've used mine a bunch

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 12:39:24 PM »
No problem, if you have a summit I see no reason you shouldn't have one of these. I've used mine a bunch

It's on its way