Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Adding charcoal to Smoker  (Read 453 times)

Kenanderson810

• Happy Cooker
Adding charcoal to Smoker
« on: June 27, 2020, 12:43:59 PM »
Any tips to adding charcoal ?   It seems I only get ii on the one side or outside the charcoal chamber ring.   I know it is important to not have the access door open very long.

I have used 22in kettles since 1967 including indirect heat but this is frustrating.   

Can the water pan be raised an inch somehow?

Sent from my SM-A205U1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Adding charcoal to Smoker
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 12:51:05 PM »
I just toss some in the charcoal ring but it’s rare I need to add coal. A full ring lasts 12 hours+

They make a charcoal rake that might work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 12:53:04 PM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Adding charcoal to Smoker
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 12:52:08 PM »
I have the older water pan that is more shallow and probably gives more room?  Not sure, I haven’t used one with a new style water bowl

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 02:30:24 PM »
If you haven't already familiar with it, do a search on the Minion method for charcoal.  You probably won't have to add any. 

That being said, I have a very long CHEAP ASS pair of tongs I bought at a thrift store.  They are not even stainless and a bit rust now, but I only use them to pick up coals that fall out of a basket when I'm dumping coals from a chimney into baskets.  I also use them to place a couple extra coals here or there on occasion.  Before that, I used to just kind of try pitching them over to the other side.  I also have a Weber coal rake that I found cheap at the Weber store in Palatine one day.  Otherwise, I'd probably be cheap & go the route another member suggested.  Buy a cheap hoe at a garage sale (for a buck or two) and cut down the handle.  Perhaps grind the corners a bit and use that as a charcoal rake.  Bonus is you get to make the handle as long as you like.

When I've used the water pan with liquid and wanted to add more, I've used either a funnels for adding water to a Christmas tree and also a beer bong that I found at a garage sale.  Both work pretty decent. 
regards,
Hal

UFO griller

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 06:00:05 PM »
I’ve only had to add coals one time to my WSM. I miscalculated and put too few briquettes in from the start. Like potsieweber, I use an old set of fonts to add new briquettes in.

I’ve also see people build some kind of a chute using aluminum to make a slide for adding briquettes. Also know people who just set the middle portion and lid to side and tend the fire that way. But if you use water in your water bowl, I’d advise against that.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 07:23:06 PM »
I don't remember adding coals to mine. If I  am doing a long cook I just completely fill the ring.
Running Weber coals I can run around 16 hrs.
Better to have too much than not enough.
I also do not run water in my bowl.  If I needed to add coals I would just lift the top section off , add my coals and put it back on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 07:25:04 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere