Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Minion method question  (Read 1423 times)

SerialGriller

• Happy Cooker
Minion method question
« on: June 30, 2020, 01:08:24 AM »
Hi there,

I've got tons of info on how to fire up the minion method. The only thing I haven't found is where to place the meat. Center? Side and then move to center once it's burning on the side? Really unsure about this.

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
Re: Minion method question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 02:36:25 AM »
If you are using a kettle then you are placing the protein in the center
But you want you vent opposite the heat so that it is drawn over the meat
So you will have to rotate your lid through out the cook
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 03:02:57 AM »
I don't use that method, but have a question: Don't you need a shield or reflector of some sort when placing the meat right over the coals on startup?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 04:06:07 AM by Ashley Coalburn »

rc

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 05:32:10 AM »

I don't use that method, but have a question: Don't you need a shield or reflector of some sort when placing the meat right over the coals on startup?
when using the minion method your not placing the protein over the coals. You place your coals off to one side of the grill and your protein in the indirect side. If you want to make a heat shield you can wrap two bricks in aluminum foil and place them in front of the coals to block some of the heat. Also place a pan of water under your protein. This will help keep the humidity up in your kettle so your meat doesn’t dry out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Minion method question
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 08:11:14 AM »
I don’t use the minion method on my kettle. I put a drip/water pan in the middle, then stack charcoal on left and right sides, approx 20-25 coals on each. Once it gets to temp, drop some wood chunks on the coals and put on lid. I normally leave all vents wide open, top and bottom. I did use the minion method on the wsm 18” I had. Sold it because I want a 22” wsm. I just put about 6-8 chunks of the wood I wanted on the bottom grate, then filled the ring with charcoal. Just made a little dip in the middle of the pile by hand. Lit about 10 briquettes in the chimney, once good and hot, just dumped them in the middle and let it go.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:15:25 AM by bbqking01 »

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 05:42:16 PM »

when using the minion method your not placing the protein over the coals. You place your coals off to one side of the grill and your protein in the indirect side. If you want to make a heat shield you can wrap two bricks in aluminum foil and place them in front of the coals to block some of the heat. Also place a pan of water under your protein. This will help keep the humidity up in your kettle so your meat doesn’t dry out.

When I think minion, I think this. The photo is the setup I am referring to. If one sets up like this, it seems you'd need something to shield the meat. Based on the OP's post, it sounds like he's referring to this when he says "center, off to one side" etc.

SerialGriller

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 06:37:05 PM »
Yes, this exactly. I did end up doing what @Lemans recommended. Worked out quite well, I think. Thanks, everyone, for the help.

rc

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 06:43:03 PM »
That reference pic looks like what I do in my wsm. The wsm’s have a water pan that act as a heat sink. This helps regulate temp, deflect heat, and keep your protein moist. I know pit barrel cookers don’t have deflector shields, you just hang your protein over the open fire. Guess it’s really your personal preference. I love my wsm and the results it gives me having a water pan creating an indirect cook for low n slow.