Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 8th Annual Chicago meetup ***Cancelled***  (Read 20288 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
8th Annual Chicago meetup ***Cancelled***
« on: June 25, 2020, 06:36:58 AM »
Posted this in the announcement thread but thought it needed its own heading.

Current ongoing restrictions from Covid in Illinois the team though it best to hold off this year.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 8th Annual Chicago meetup ***Cancelled***
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 06:38:56 AM »
can we call it a protest against shitty grills and meet any way LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
8th Annual Chicago meetup ***Cancelled***
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 07:07:26 PM »
Going to toss out an alternative.   Indiana has no large group restrictions after 04july.   Only Social distancing is advised.  I have a large yard with shade and a good sized patio.  There’s plenty of reasonable hotels nearby.   We even have a Weber grill restaurant downtown for a Friday dinner.  If there’s interest, I’m happy to host. 

I’m only three hours south on I-65. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 04:09:10 AM »

Going to toss out an alternative.   Indiana has no large group restrictions after 04july.   Only Social distancing is advised.  I have a large yard with shade and a good sized patio.  There’s plenty of reasonable hotels nearby.   We even have a Weber grill restaurant downtown for a Friday dinner.  If there’s interest, I’m happy to host. 

I’m only three hours south on I-65. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 06:15:32 AM »
One thing I misstated here is this is cancelled not solely on the fact that there are restrictions in Ill. in fact it seems like those restrictions will be lifted. The planning people and the host felt it  best due to current rise in cases where states have been unrestricted to simply not be careless and hold a huge event.  We have witnessed in the past many people coming from many areas and if one of them were contagious and everyone took that home it would not help the covid situation. 
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 03:42:14 PM »
Very sad but understandable.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 04:00:09 PM »
I'm happy to see we are all still looking I ut for each other.

I keep hearing/seeing stories of selfish people acting out against people trying to stay safe.

A+

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 06:50:05 PM »

can we call it a protest against shitty grills and meet any way LOL

Yes!  Evidently it’s perfectly fine to have large gatherings as long as it’s for a cause.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 08:46:08 PM »
Scamdemic strikes again

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 07:12:54 AM »
I know it is not the same, but maybe we could all do a group zoom meeting on the same date/time.  If anyone had any interesting cooks/recipes they could also share them in a dedicated thread. 

If a few people that were local to each other wanted to meet up in one member's back yard that might also be doable in a safe social distancing manner.  Given that we are all adults people can talk/cook 10 feet away from each other and with only a few people it would be doable to fit that in someones back yard. 

I agree it really sucks that it had to be cancelled, but if I am being honest there really wasn't a safe way to bring a large group of us together.  I was really looking forward to this being my first meet up, but seeing some photos of from the past there would just be too many people in close quarters.  I think it was the right decision to make.  Maybe next year we do 2 meet ups or just make one hell of a big meet up. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 08:30:55 PM »
I know it is not the same, but maybe we could all do a group zoom meeting on the same date/time.  If anyone had any interesting cooks/recipes they could also share them in a dedicated thread. 

If a few people that were local to each other wanted to meet up in one member's back yard that might also be doable in a safe social distancing manner.  Given that we are all adults people can talk/cook 10 feet away from each other and with only a few people it would be doable to fit that in someones back yard. 

I agree it really sucks that it had to be cancelled, but if I am being honest there really wasn't a safe way to bring a large group of us together.  I was really looking forward to this being my first meet up, but seeing some photos of from the past there would just be too many people in close quarters.  I think it was the right decision to make.  Maybe next year we do 2 meet ups or just make one hell of a big meet up.

I'm putting together a worldwide meetup via zoom. details coming soon :)