Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Alternate chimney starter stands/surfaces?  (Read 3427 times)

Cellar2ful

Re: Alternate chimney starter stands/surfaces?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 06:47:15 PM »

I've been starting my chimney in a SJ bowl for many years.  In addition, about a year ago I started using an empty second chimney stacked on top that speeds up the lighting process.   7 minutes after lighting, I shake the chimney to move the briquettes around (use the motion a Chef does when flipping ingredients in a frying pan). About 1 minute later the briquettes are ready to dump.    8 minutes from lighting to dumping equates to even less smoke.

Here is a thread on the topic from last July:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=42794.0
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 06:51:39 PM »
Looks good! 

You using Briquettes?

I've been starting my chimney in a SJ bowl for many years.  In addition, about a year ago I started using an empty second chimney stacked on top that speeds up the lighting process.   7 minutes after lighting, I shake the chimney to move the briquettes around (use the motion a Chef does when flipping ingredients in a frying pan). About 1 minute later the briquettes are ready to dump.    8 minutes from lighting to dumping equates to even less smoke.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 07:01:33 PM »

I rotate between Kingsford blue bag and Weber briquettes depending on the length of the cook. I use Kingsford for short cooks like salmon and sea bass and the Weber briquettes for almost everything else. The start time is the same for both using the double chimney method.  I start mine with a plumbers torch rather than with the Weber cubes.  Takes approx 1 minute to get them lit with the torch.  Adding that 1 minute of torch time the lighting takes a total of 9 minutes.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2020, 07:06:26 PM »
DAMN!  I meant to try it after seeing the thread, but forgot about it.  Thank you for the reminder.

regards,
Hal

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2020, 03:53:31 AM »
I agree a SJ is an excellent way to light coals, I've been doing it for years.

Double stacked chimney sounds like a grate idea, I'll be trying it this weekend

leeharvey418

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2020, 05:02:23 AM »
I've been setting my chimney on one of these for years to light it.  I finally had to clean off the moss from around the base of the block when I was cleaning up my deck this year, but the block is pretty much indestructible.  You'd probably want to pick through a few in the store and find one that doesn't have any underfilled corners, but they're cheap and foolproof.
2020 26" OKP; 2006 Q 200 Silver; 1997 Red Mist SSP; 2000 22” Plum OTG; and I'm gonna call it a 1975 Smokey Joe

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2020, 05:06:53 AM »
I've been setting my chimney on one of these for years to light it.  I finally had to clean off the moss from around the base of the block when I was cleaning up my deck this year, but the block is pretty much indestructible.  You'd probably want to pick through a few in the store and find one that doesn't have any underfilled corners, but they're cheap and foolproof.

Makes sense!

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2020, 07:13:08 AM »
Invert an empty metal bucket, stand the chimney on the bottom.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2020, 07:24:30 AM »
I use a large paver that was extra from a landscaping project.  It’s large and works well.  Very stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2020, 07:23:55 PM »
Go to Walmart, look for the Fat wood starter sticks. Use that next time and ask if he preferred it before or now.

Fatwood smokes like a mo fo

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2020, 04:02:24 AM »
I light mine on concrete, in the grill, on the grass, in the dirt, wherever it works. A patio stone would be fine. Set the cube down, light it, set the loaded chimney over it.

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2020, 08:12:24 PM »
I just recently tried a bag of Royal Oak lump (NOT briquette) because it was pretty inexpensive. It seemed to be relatively low smoke when lighting, and when I ended up with a face-full of it due to the wind shifting, it wasn't terribly harsh on my eyes. My particular bag had a lot of very small pieces and quite a few big chunks. I'm not sure if that's common (as it was my first try with lump), but the overall experience was good enough that I'll try again. I feel quite the opposite about the Royal Oak briquettes, though...

leeharvey418

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2020, 06:35:35 AM »

Your beat up second chimney is in better shape than my daily driver.  :-[
2020 26" OKP; 2006 Q 200 Silver; 1997 Red Mist SSP; 2000 22” Plum OTG; and I'm gonna call it a 1975 Smokey Joe

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2020, 03:36:45 PM »
I've been doing the same thing.  I recently found out it's not a great idea to leave a chimney starting on the outside patio cement.  So I painted a SJ that never gets used and it's job now is chimney chair.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2020, 03:42:04 PM »
Look at the yellow!  I want!
I've been doing the same thing.  I recently found out it's not a great idea to leave a chimney starting on the outside patio cement.  So I painted a SJ that never gets used and it's job now is chimney chair.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app