Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Royal Oak  (Read 2805 times)

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
Royal Oak
« on: June 21, 2020, 09:38:05 AM »
Started a snake this morning using Lowe's branded Royal Oak. This is the first time I can remember buying anything but Kingsford in decades, but I wanted to give it a shot based on reviews and the fact that Kingsford didn't do a sale for Memorial Day.

I lit 8 briquettes as always, it seemed like it took a while for them to get up to speed. I placed them as usual and waited for a very long time for the kettle to come to temp. Put the ribs on, watched it for a few and walked away. Went back in 20 minutes or so assuming I'd have to close the bottom vent some. The fire was out. Completely out. I emptied the kettle on the ground, reloaded with Kingsford, and now everything is humming along. I've closed down the dampers and temps are good.

I will try them again at some point, maybe for grilling, but not for smoking. This reminds me of when I first stated grilling 45 years ago and bought whatever was cheapest, then wondered why I had so much trouble.

Sure wish I had that lost hour back.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Royal Oak
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 10:30:44 AM »
Regular royal oak briquettes are complete garbage. I’ve tried them out three different times the past year and every time they are slow to light and require twice the air flow just to stay burning and never get as hot as they should.

I’m not sure if they aren’t drying them thoroughly during manufacturing or if they are somehow getting damp after the fact. I don’t know but I have started out with brand new bags the last few times so I know that I did not get them damp.

Kingsford professional 2 bags for $15 is a great deal if you have a Costco nearby. 100% natural, lights fast, and burns hot and consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Re: Royal Oak
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 11:33:48 AM »
The RO Premium is trash!
The RO Natural is my favorite briq especially for minion type cooking.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 11:39:07 AM »

The RO Premium is trash!

I haven’t looked real hard, but I never see RO natural in my area. We have RO lump which is decent and whatever the regular RO briquette is. Also several rebranded versions of the same RO. I’ll check out the natural if I ever come across it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 01:10:40 PM »

The RO Premium is trash!

This [emoji1318]

RO All Natural in the Brown bag is excellent. Same exact blend as Chefs Select. $7.96 at Walmart every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 05:39:47 PM »
The good news is the Kingsford did the trick, ribs turned out great, beautiful ring, killer flavor. We ate almost exactly and hour later than planned. Live and learn.

buttman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 09:27:05 AM »

The RO Premium is trash!

This [emoji1318]

RO All Natural in the Brown bag is excellent. Same exact blend as Chefs Select. $7.96 at Walmart every day.

Gonna give it a try, just picked up 2 bags at Walmart. Didn’t care for Royal Oak Ridge.

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 12:47:35 PM »
Kingsford is what I use for low and slow/ smoking. I’ll buy royal oak limo occasionally for grilling although lately I’ve been enjoying using kings ford with a big ass log of mesquite thrown on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 05:37:59 AM »
I mixed RO and Kingsford yesterday to burn-in the new Performer and again to cook some chops, seems to work ok. With Kingsford not putting things on sale this year it's a good way to stretch it out and use up the RO. I'm going to try it today in a basket for a 2-3 hour indirect cook, looking to maintain 325 or so.

rc

• WKC Brave
Royal Oak
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 05:44:24 AM »
@Ashely Coalburn your in the SE Michigan area right? If so, Lowe’s has a two pack of 20 lb bags of KingsFord on sale for $16.99. The sale ends July 8th.

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 06:45:05 AM »
Saw them, but the ones I saw were 16 lb.? I'll check again.

Still waiting for the $9.98/2 sale like they had for years. I suspect we may be out of luck due to COVID.

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 12:23:06 PM »
@Ashely Coalburn your in the SE Michigan area right? If so, Lowe’s has a two pack of 20 lb bags of KingsFord on sale for $16.99. The sale ends July 8th.

Thanks for the heads up. I did pick some up. It's 25% more than we used to pay, but it is what it is. Maybe they'll do the sale on Labor Day.