Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anybody Using B&B Char-Logs photos and first try  (Read 1346 times)

RHOUSER

• Smokey Joe
Anybody Using B&B Char-Logs photos and first try
« on: June 17, 2020, 05:28:51 AM »
I would have stayed within the original post but I can't figure out how to add photos to a reply.

I lit 10 B&B Char-logs chunks into my chimney (about 1/2 chimney) using the gas igniter on the Weber. Only one was full size, the rest were about "halfs".

It took 5 minutes of Gas and about 5 more minutes till I dumped into the Vortex. I closed the lid with all vents WO.  It settled right on 500 and nailed there like a rock.

I put the chicken on (thighs shaken with House of Autry Chicken seasoned mix).  Checked thighs at 25 minutes and pulled at 30 minutes 190 degrees.  Crispy Fried Chicken like skin.  About as good as can be (not perfect, but, the three test pieces were eaten as soon as they could be handled).  Rated as "best ever" grill fried by my testers.

Only have pictures of the Char-logs in the Vortex, the Chicken set up, and the Temp set.  The finished product did not survive the the camera.  Final note:  I believe I have enough intact Char-Logs to do this again.  There was very little structure collapse in the 45 minutes between lighting and shutting down the vents.

thanks to all
rch
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 05:31:23 AM by RHOUSER »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Anybody Using B&B Char-Logs photos and first try
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 05:55:47 AM »
Looks grate to me, I have not tried the B&B char logs but I am interested
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

RHOUSER

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 06:14:11 AM »
$72 on Amazon, 19.99 Ace Hardware, 14.99 Academy (don't have one here), and Walmart $56.72 delivered.  I picked up 60# for $40 dollars at local Ace. 

My next test will be to burn the balance of the vortex from last night for time and temp. 

I also want to run a time and temp test using Slow & Sear with just lighting an end.  I will do a "log count" and stack across and light one end with some lump.  At 67 cents a pound, I may actually weigh of few of the "whole" logs just to see how standard they are.  This is a manufactured "charcoal" log without binders???

Sometimes it is just to see what is possible.  This char-log burns (and even lights) with almost zero smoke.  It will need wood chunks added to produce a smoke ring (imho).

Thanks to all who make this forum great.

v/r rch

Thanks to all who make this forum great.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 06:15:59 AM by RHOUSER »

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 04:15:23 PM »
I need to check out the B&B logs.

Love the House Autry on grilled chicken.