Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need some BBR advice  (Read 873 times)

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
Need some BBR advice
« on: June 14, 2020, 10:54:38 AM »
Have some questions. Ribs were the first thing I ever smoked, and I've probably smoked them more than anything else. But...

I have always smoked full racks, and always bone-side down. Never used a rack or smoked baby backs (or for that matter St. Louis cut). BBR's have always been reserved for high-heat indirect due to their more tender nature.

It's time to try something different. This coming Father's Day I plan to smoke 4 racks of BBRs, or maybe 5 based on your advice. This will be on a 22" w/snake and a Weber rib rack.

What to expect? For full racks I'd normally allot 'about' 6 hours. I'm mostly concerned about starting them too early.

• Will the BBRs cook faster?
  • Will the rack slow them down?
  • Will 5 racks be possible, or will 4 be about it?

I saw Baby Back Maniac's video smoking 12 racks in a Summit, but don't know if the dome is higher than the 22".

Any help is appreciated.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Re: Need some BBR advice
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 03:25:25 PM »
I can't respond to using a rack...
But back ribs usually are done in 4-5 hours in my kettle. No foil. Just cook em indirect.

RHOUSER

• Smokey Joe
Re: Need some BBR advice
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 03:37:32 AM »
+1 with Smoke Freak.  I don't own a holder so I can't help there. 

IMO, BBR's cook faster than Spares. I run 275 degrees and plan on 3 hours to a good "poke test".  Light coat of yellow mustard, then add rub and some extra brown sugar (my thing).  No foil but I start bone down, do a flip at about 1 hour, then a flip back at 2 hours and let them ride till done.  I use the S&S with the S&S drip pan.  This makes the 275 pretty straight forward.  I will have to try one of the racks some time. 

Good Luck and let us know how it went.
v/r rch