Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 26'r SnS how to Tutorial!  (Read 4574 times)

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
Re: 26'r SnS how to Tutorial!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 06:14:11 AM »
Thanks.  The Weber Briquettes are big.

@Darko - Do you think KBB is better or worse than, say, Weber Briquettes?

I'd like to try B&B but hard to find in Canada.
Nice write up except for saying that using KBB instead of other briquettes doesn't matter.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lol. Can’t wait for his response. I have no problem with it. I’ve been using kingsford professional lately though.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I use the professional if its available, but lately its been out of stock. If you allow the grill to get up to temp and then stablize, the smoke disappears and it burns as clean as any of the other brands. I've watched a few comparisons on YouTube and there is minimal differences. The weber coals do last longer but the briquettes are shaped differently. And if I'm doing shorter cooks it doesn't matter. A full SnS of KBB lasts like 8 hrs which is more than long enough for ribs, chicken, reverse sear steak etc....

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2020, 06:16:18 AM »
If it wasn't for the sales on KBB the Weber is cheaper. The KBB is like 1.25 per lb and the weber is 1buck per lb. I buy whats on sale, lol I have 100lbs of charcoal in my shed at the moment.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2020, 07:33:37 AM »
@WildonionAB , If I lived in your neck of the woods, I'd sooner go to a cattle ranch and get a bunch of cow pies, in place of KBB.

All kidding aside. Here in Ontario we don't have that big a selection. What I see on a regular basis is Maple Leaf briquettes, Royal Oak briquettes, Weber and Kingsford blue. Of all of those to me Kingsford smells awful is the smokiest and leaves the most ash. Plus it's never on sale and is the most expensive per pound. I use mostly maple leaf briquettes so I'm more used to that sweet mild smell of maple rather than the heavier smell of the others. Royal Oak & Weber are a mix of Oak and hickory so smell a bit stronger but not unpleasant. I think what gets me with the KBB is the coal dust they use in the blend.

I use lump about 85 percent of the time so based on price per pound here KBB is a complete no go. Now, If we in Canada had those great sales like they do in the US I'm sure I could get used to Kingsford.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 07:36:11 AM »
I'm in Ontario too, and so this answer was especially helpful!

@WildonionAB , If I lived in your neck of the woods, I'd sooner go to a cattle ranch and get a bunch of cow pies, in place of KBB.

All kidding aside. Here in Ontario we don't have that big a selection. What I see on a regular basis is Maple Leaf briquettes, Royal Oak briquettes, Weber and Kingsford blue. Of all of those to me Kingsford smells awful is the smokiest and leaves the most ash. Plus it's never on sale and is the most expensive per pound. I use mostly maple leaf briquettes so I'm more used to that sweet mild smell of maple rather than the heavier smell of the others. Royal Oak & Weber are a mix of Oak and hickory so smell a bit stronger but not unpleasant. I think what gets me with the KBB is the coal dust they use in the blend.

I use lump about 85 percent of the time so based on price per pound here KBB is a complete no go. Now, If we in Canada had those great sales like they do in the US I'm sure I could get used to Kingsford.

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 07:41:42 AM »
I've only seen Kingsford, royal oak, weber and No Name brand briquettes. I prefer the Kingsford over royal oak for consistency of the briquettes and the fact that the Kingsford looked properly carbonized and the Royal oak still have uncarbonized chunks showing. The weber are really nice though. If you can get them they are pretty good and cheaper then KBB a lot of the time, but Home Depot keeps putting 16lb bags of KBB on for 12.99.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2020, 09:09:16 AM »
Royal Oak is supposed to have those bits. They add up to 10% sawdust to their formula.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2020, 09:31:36 AM »
Have you seen B&B in our part of the world?

Royal Oak is supposed to have those bits. They add up to 10% sawdust to their formula.

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2020, 09:37:13 AM »

Never seen it in Alberta. They have FOGO at Homedepot but its 30bucks for 20lb

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2020, 09:39:59 AM »
I tried Fogo and Jealous Devil.  I preferred the consistency of the Fogo but the Jealous Devil got hotter --- was great for forward sear steak.  Both are too expensive on an ongoing basis.

My first lump experience was with Woodstock lump.  It was 50-60% chip sized pieces.  That was that.

I've heard a lot about Maple Leaf, and that will be my next.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2020, 12:45:33 PM »
Fogo, B&B... never seen them.  Actually, I probably shouldn't say that because they may have been at some of the local BBQ stores, but the prices some of these places charge for charcoal is stupid ridiculous. Weber briquettes for 26 bucks...

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2020, 12:48:23 PM »
Fogo, B&B... never seen them.  Actually, I probably shouldn't say that because they may have been at some of the local BBQ stores, but the prices some of these places charge for charcoal is stupid ridiculous. Weber briquettes for 26 bucks...
For 26 bucks I'd walk away from the weber to . I buy the cheapest I can find. Except the No Name brand from superstore. Its only to be used in desperate times.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2020, 12:51:27 PM »
I tried Fogo and Jealous Devil.  I preferred the consistency of the Fogo but the Jealous Devil got hotter --- was great for forward sear steak.  Both are too expensive on an ongoing basis.

My first lump experience was with Woodstock lump.  It was 50-60% chip sized pieces.  That was that.

I first started with Maple Leaf, but then switched to Basques(Natures own(100% sugar maple)) then went to Xylo, which Costco started selling last year for like 12.99 for 8kg bags. That was really nice, a mix of maple beech and birch. but then they switched earlier this year to Cowboy lump from mexico for 17.50 for 9 kg. Now they have nothing.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2020, 12:54:01 PM »
For 26 bucks I'd walk away from the weber to . I buy the cheapest I can find. Except the No Name brand from superstore. Its only to be used in desperate times.

It's Royal Oak, but more expensive. Here I can get Royal Oak for 9 bucks any day of the week for 15.4 lbs.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2020, 01:07:39 PM »
$26 seems crazy.  It's $19 here (in Toronto) and I still think it's pricey, especially for a guy figuring out how and when to reuse charcoal.

It's Royal Oak, but more expensive. Here I can get Royal Oak for 9 bucks any day of the week for 15.4 lbs.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
26'r SnS how to Tutorial!
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2020, 01:12:32 PM »

I first started with Maple Leaf, but then switched to Basques(Natures own(100% sugar maple)) then went to Xylo, which Costco started selling last year for like 12.99 for 8kg bags. That was really nice, a mix of maple beech and birch. but then they switched earlier this year to Cowboy lump from mexico for 17.50 for 9 kg. Now they have nothing.
Right now Costco has a special member event on 80lbs of Kamado Joe XL Big Block Lump for $80 with free shipping.  Ends 6/21.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 01:16:13 PM by Mr.CPHo »