Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 26'r SnS how to Tutorial!  (Read 4576 times)

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
26'r SnS how to Tutorial!
« on: June 13, 2020, 09:57:51 AM »
Since I keep seeing people ask what to do when using a SnS I figured I could show my technique.

As you can see in the pics I put a layer of foil on the cook side. Keeps the inside of the kettle almost perfectly clean and it helps keep the air flow straight to the coals.

Next I start about a dozen coals in my chimney. Sometimes KBB and sometimes Weber doesn't matter what brand really.

Once they are ashed over I pile them into 1 corner of the SnS and use my tongs to stack them. Then I fill the remaining space with unlit coals to the top of the SnS.

Place your thermometer on the grill, make sure all vents are 100% open and close it up. I don't use the water trough anymore. Didnt like how it ran with it. I find it easier without filling it.

Let the heat climb to 200f and close bottom vent to half. It levels off at around 220 to 230f. And then open it and place your meat on. I use rib racks to maximize usable space.

There will be some manipulation of the vents but only if my temperature doesn't recover fast enough or starts to go to high.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: 26'r SnS how to Tutorial!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 06:41:46 PM »
Nice job!   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 06:56:04 PM »
Nice write up.
I do mine in a similar way except I fill the coals all the way up to the grate and then put my wood chunks on top of the grate for a little extra burn time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 06:58:25 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 04:58:47 AM »
good looking setup
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 01:26:14 PM »
Wildonion Thanks for taking the time to show this. I just got my 26 and I'm waiting on the SnS. This will be a big help!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 01:35:47 PM »
Wildonion Thanks for taking the time to show this. I just got my 26 and I'm waiting on the SnS. This will be a big help!

No problem dude.  And the SnS is a great product. I'm using one I built for my 22 but it works just as good in my 26'r.
  I even tried cooking wings in my 22 without it just banking the coals and I never got close to the same temps. The SnS makes better wings IMO hands down.

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 05:00:28 PM »
Right on...I have to get one. So auction and the SnS..I read on the forum somewhere about the "old" And verses the new, is that the deluxe? Which one do I need? I thought I saw where the need one doesn't burn the briquets as well because the sh doesn't fall as well? Am I sounding crazy?

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 05:07:51 PM »
Right on...I have to get one. So auction and the SnS..I read on the forum somewhere about the "old" And verses the new, is that the deluxe? Which one do I need? I thought I saw where the need one doesn't burn the briquets as well because the sh doesn't fall as well? Am I sounding crazy?

I didn't build mine with the bottom grate. Havent noticed anything detrimental when I cook. Get whichever is cheapest lol

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 06:07:15 PM »
Right on! Lol

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 06:33:28 PM »
Nice write up except for saying that using KBB instead of other briquettes doesn't matter.

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 03:01:24 AM »
Nice write up except for saying that using KBB instead of other briquettes doesn't matter.
I've used several brands, and haven't noticed any real difference in flavour or Temps. Sure it smokes more when lighting but I'm not cooking on it while it is.

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 05:47:09 AM »
@Darko - Do you think KBB is better or worse than, say, Weber Briquettes?

I'd like to try B&B but hard to find in Canada.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:50:31 AM by DougWilsonsSlapper »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 06:01:25 AM »

Lol. Can’t wait for his response. I have no problem with it. I’ve been using kingsford professional lately though.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DougWilsonsSlapper

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 06:04:42 AM »

Well, my naivety is bliss.   

Lol. Can’t wait for his response. I have no problem with it. I’ve been using kingsford professional lately though.

WildonionAB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 06:06:00 AM »

I use the professional if its available, but lately its been out of stock. If you allow the grill to get up to temp and then stablize, the smoke disappears and it burns as clean as any of the other brands. I've watched a few comparisons on YouTube and there is minimal differences. The weber coals do last longer but the briquettes are shaped differently. And if I'm doing shorter cooks it doesn't matter. A full SnS of KBB lasts like 8 hrs which is more than long enough for ribs, chicken, reverse sear steak etc....