Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Modded Fleetwood and money muscle  (Read 1735 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Modded Fleetwood and money muscle
« on: June 14, 2020, 04:43:45 AM »
This cook is for @Rub who changed my life after one bite of his amazing BBQ at the Florida meetup a few years ago. 

I decided I would try my hand at isolating and focusing on the money muscle.  For those of you who have competed many times, close your eyes, I’m sure I butchered it, and NOT in a good way.  But alas, practice makes perfect, right?

Started with a 9lb boneless butt from Costco and butterflied to expose the money muscle.  Dry rubbed with @Rub’s Swamp Boys and wrapped overnight.  The Fleetwood is a venerable low-and-slow machine and it had been awhile since it’s seen any action; certainly not since it’s been loweRed.  Thanks to WeberKell11 who alerted me to a nearby parts kettle.

My charcoal rails were buried deep in the Ranch, so decided to just make a barrier with two old baskets which worked well to delineate my two zones.  I started a small pile of Kamado Joe XL big block lump with stump chunks in the corner, and once that was going filled the rest of the space with unlit lump and some maple and peach chunks.  The Fleetwood ran at about 230F with top vent open and one bowl vent open (the other two closed) while thermodots kept me apprised of progress.  I ran all the way to an internal temp of 203F, then foiled and rested in a cooler. 

First impressions, no where near as good as Rub’s, but still very tender and flavorful.  I’m a total NOOB when it comes to this particular cook.  It’s going to take us quite awhile to finish the rest of the butt, but I will definitely try isolating the money muscle again. 

One last thing which probably doesn’t need to be said, Swamp Boys sauce and rub is so friggin’ good.  http://store.swampboys.com/

Thanks for looking.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Modded Fleetwood and money muscle
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 04:52:51 AM »
That cook looks tasty Charlie. I am going to look over my next butt and see if I can find and isolate that muscle.
But your Fleetwood with those wheels [emoji44] and lowered too [emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 05:03:34 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

WeberKell11

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 07:24:50 AM »
Cheers brother looks great! Always happy to help and glad we could finally meet up!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

smokeyjoe

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 09:36:08 AM »
Nice mod!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO Red Outrider.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 12:55:11 PM »
Great job Charlie! I too shall try and locate this money muscle someday.

Nice Fleetwood too [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 02:04:18 PM »
Looks great man!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 02:04:57 PM »
And wait, where is there a Costco nearby?

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 03:07:19 PM »

Looks great man!

And wait, where is there a Costco nearby?
Thanks, the results were encouraging enough to keep trying.

It’s exactly an hour to the Costco in Spartanburg or an hour, 15 minutes to Greenville’s Costco.  LMK if you ever need me to pick up anything, or even better, ride along with us sometime.  We also frequent Restaurant Depot if that interests you.  Supposedly a Costco is coming to South Asheville.  🤞

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 07:08:56 AM »
Awesome cook and grill.  Love the red wheels. 

Harry Soo has an entire YouTube video on the different ways to isolate the money muscle for competition cooks. 

Amazing details they go into to get the perfect bite. 

https://youtu.be/FlBagb3tKUc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk